SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Storage orientation for 8" Newt.

Hi, all.

I've just taken delivery of a StellaLyra 200mm Dob from FLO, for which I'll do a little first impressions write-up later.

In the meantime, it's sitting there black and shiny, with the mount destined for the garage, and the OTA upright in a secure corner of my office. It's a space issue. The question is: any foreseeable problems with the OTA bolt upright - and assuming not - would it be better primary down i.e. carefully on its collimating knobs (or some little cross-piece to take the weight), or secondary end down? All duly covered.

Thanks.

I have the same scope, which lives under the stairs on its mount at a 45° angle.

I thought of storing it vertically on its primary mirror end too, but something about having all its weight bearing on the collimation knobs for prolonged periods didn't sit well with me.

I know someone on here has fitted some 'feet' to the base. Alternatively, you could make a low stand so the the knobs are free 

• Like 1

My ten inch lives on a cart in my garage.  It has all its caps in place and i put a cover over it.  It points straight up.  No issues with it at all

1 hour ago, Nik271 said:

Lying down is best, and this way the primary mirror will collect less dust than stored upright. 

This is what I do. Even with end caps on (I have a dust cover on the bottom too) it’s surprising and annoying how much dust can accumulate if stored upright. Not sure if it’ll spoil the views but if you can avoid then why not. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

This is what I do. Even with end caps on (I have a dust cover on the bottom too) it’s surprising and annoying how much dust can accumulate if stored upright. Not sure if it’ll spoil the views but if you can avoid then why not. 

I have a bottom cover as well.  

At the risk of triggering howls of anguish, I store my Sw 200PDS pointing downwards and under a large plastic bag to prevent any dust landing on the primary. 

I don't have the space to lay it horizontally and it's placed in a corner, on a bench in the dry, but unneeded front porch, away from any likelihood of getting pushed over. 

I haven't yet got around to to, but a couple of hooks screwed into the wall either side and a strong elasticated cord should prevent any accidental toppling. 

But as others have said,  it's down to each person's situation and the risk of it being toppled over if stored vertically. 

Just my way. 

• Like 2

My first 8" newt was stored mirror up, without risk of toppling.
I modified a cheap pine bookshelf to store the tube, mount, and everything else.
A bungy cord around the tube meant there was no risk of toppling. A similar approach to the tripod and mount.
By using a pine bookshelf, I could easily carry out the modifications, rather than having to deal with MDF, chipboard, etc.

Having re-read some hours later I realised it could be better worded....

The scope was stored top heavy. That is mirror at the top, looking at the floor.
There are no knocks on collimation screws when taking in/out and dust does not fall onto the mirror.

Edited by Carbon Brush
clarity (or lack of)
  • Like 1

If you decide to store it vertically then the mirror down would be my choice. The locking screws are longer than the black collimation screws so there is no weight being borne by the collimation screws. I actually store mine fully assembled with the telescope horizontal.

• Like 1

I use the "inverse" of above! Hole Cutter and some spare pieces of shelving.
Used quite successfully, until my pullover caught in the focusser... Scope fell
over and bent the Electric Focusser bracket. I sense (hope) the rest survived! 🙄

Best not to have a Telescope as a (non-SGL!) Lounge "Conversation Piece"? 🤣

RefStand.JPG.27f5e375eedc50268bf3d4d2921d2069.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for all your responses: much appreciated and all considered.

For the time being, I've sequestered a corner so I can leave it upright (minimum footprint) on its mount, resplendent in shower caps and fitted bedsheet. Once I get settled down and find how and where I site it most, I'll review.

Thanks again, peeps.

2 hours ago, matelot said:

Thanks for all your responses: much appreciated and all considered.

For the time being, I've sequestered a corner so I can leave it upright (minimum footprint) on its mount, resplendent in shower caps and fitted bedsheet. Once I get settled down and find how and where I site it most, I'll review.

Thanks again, peeps.

I agree that shower caps are good for fitting to both ends.  Though, it is embarrassing if you can only find them with flowery patterns - for the telescope of course, not the owner 😊.

Also some tubes are too big for shower caps.  Instead of shower caps I now use stool covers - there are endless designs and sizes to fit all scopes on a well known mail order supplier 🙂.

• Haha 2

On 17/08/2022 at 01:06, Stickey said:

*unneeded = unheated

Hi there Stickey ,

For future reference ... at the right-hand end of the top line of a post  ( the grey line with your name in it )  there are three dots , click on that and you get the three options drop down ... "Share" , "Report" and "Edit"

Click on "Edit" and you can then make any necessary changes to your post such as spelling etc. without needing to add an 'erratum' post.

Same applies to FB posts too which a lot of folk don't seem to realise. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

. at the right-hand end of the top line of a post  ( the grey line with your name in it )  there are three dots , click on that and you get the three options drop down ... "Share" , "Report" and "Edit"

Thanks Steve. I wasn't aware of that feature. It'll come in handy the next time the so-called "smart"-text messes up👍

Mike

• Like 1