Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flying high - M16 - Eagle Nebula

Elp

In this case flying low.

Always wanted to image this as it looks distinct and has the famous Pillars of Creation bang in the centre. It's a bit of a difficult one however as it's fairly low just above the horizon in the south so I have to image away from home, only visible for a few hours per night and only visible around May-Sept, add to that shooting through thick atmosphere so guiding was quite awful.

Considering this is a very short integration (2h 20m odd) I'm surprised there's a result at all but shooting hydrogen alpha in a bortle 4 zone certainly helped with most of the detail, the S2 was just a blotchy mess for 20 minutes worth and overall there's a lot of noise. But happy the centre was resolved to some degree and the apex reducer is certainly doing its job allowing shooting at F3.9 at the cost of distorted stars around the centre fov.

This is only my third attempt at SHO having uploaded an IC1396 Elephant's Trunk yesterday, my second project processing SHO as the first is still pending until later in the year. Think the SHO balance is better in this one as it's dialled back and not so saturated.

137372462_M16EagleNebula-7-10August2020-doimg-Copy_122855.thumb.jpg.1cbec43c99a7a7e9b587aec10a0242dc.jpg

• Like 12