Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner looking to invest into a Tak setup (hear me out)..

11 hours ago, BGazing said:

Taks are awesome, go for DF or DZ unless you want to shell more on a focuser (these days Feathertouch focusers are a long wait).

Uni 18 Berlebach tripod, you can put it on some simple Altaz and at the same time SW AzGti will handle it well.

4inch Tak is a keeper.

Already detonated with the Tak, see above 😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, moonsafari said:

Thanks for this, Alan. I've been reading the threads. Will most likely detonate once I've connected with @Stu. Cheers, Josh

Hi @moonsafari. i would also vote for encoders fitted from new. I have 'Push To' aligned and running for every session but it doesn't mean i use it for every target. It is nice to find stuff manually sometimes and a lot of stuff hardly even needs "finding" BUT when time under a clear dark sky is precious and/or you're looking for something really faint it's a nice tool to have to hand - if you can't see it and you know you're bang on target then "you can't see it". You're not "lost" 🙂.  Cheers

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, josefk said:

Hi @moonsafari. i would also vote for encoders fitted from new. I have 'Push To' aligned and running for every session but it doesn't mean i use it for every target. It is nice to find stuff manually sometimes and a lot of stuff hardly even needs "finding" BUT when time under a clear dark sky is precious and/or you're looking for something really faint it's a nice tool to have to hand - if you can't see it and you know you're bang on target then "you can't see it". You're not "lost" 🙂.  Cheers

Love it, thank you. I’m sold.

Do you know if the slow motion controls are a big trade-off with the AZ75?

7 minutes ago, moonsafari said:

Love it, thank you. I’m sold.

Do you know if the slow motion controls are a big trade-off with the AZ75?

I'm afraid on that one i don't. I have the az100 with slo mo. If I were to get the az75 I would definitely get the handle which combined with the smoothness of the head I imagine would be fine substitute.

35 minutes ago, josefk said:

I'm afraid on that one i don't. I have the az100 with slo mo. If I were to get the az75 I would definitely get the handle which combined with the smoothness of the head I imagine would be fine substitute.

That was going to be my game plan. Can anyone else verify that this would suffice? 🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moonsafari said:

That was going to be my game plan. Can anyone else verify that this would suffice? 🙏

I’ve found the motion on the AZ75 to be very smooth and controllable. The pan handle does help so I would recommend that. Obviously slo motion controls do have a benefit (please don’t let’s open that whole argument up though, I’m nearing the end of my counselling over the last episode we had in here about it 🤪🤪🤣🤣). The AZ75 is a much lighter and more portable mount than the AZ100, so I think there is a place for both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Stu said:I’m nearing the end of my counselling over the last episode we had in here about it 🤪🤪🤣🤣). The AZ75 is a much lighter and more portable mount than the AZ100, so I think there is a place for both.

Hi Stu, that made me chuckle, my counselling continues for the very same reason 😉

• Haha 3

I have AYO II, which is comparable. It will suffice. Get a nice Berlebach tripod, also a SW AzGti is a great little tracking mount to have for your DF, I use it almost all the time for Solar/Lunar/planetary.

AZ100 is a great long-term purchase, though. Overkill, mount overkill usually results in a rock steady focusing on high magnifications...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’ve found the motion on the AZ75 to be very smooth and controllable. The pan handle does help so I would recommend that. Obviously slo motion controls do have a benefit (please don’t let’s open that whole argument up though, I’m nearing the end of my counselling over the last episode we had in here about it 🤪🤪🤣🤣). The AZ75 is a much lighter and more portable mount than the AZ100, so I think there is a place for both.

I started writing a reply to the effect that I personally much prefer slow mos, but many people don't and that it's personal choice and then I stopped for the sake of your sanity! Looks like the cat's out of the bag though 😂😱🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stu said:

. The pan handle does help so I would recommend that.

SLO-mo might be a bit controversial, but I think we can all agree that everyone loves a good handle. 😊

Talking of which, where is our resident expert, John Handleby?

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, BGazing said:

I have AYO II, which is comparable. It will suffice. Get a nice Berlebach tripod, also a SW AzGti is a great little tracking mount to have for your DF, I use it almost all the time for Solar/Lunar/planetary.

AZ100 is a great long-term purchase, though. Overkill, mount overkill usually results in a rock steady focusing on high magnifications...

I too have an AYO mount… [plus a Giro].
I get on quite happily without the need for a handle on both, but with larger apertures than my present ‘scopes, it may be a much needed add-on.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, moonsafari said:

So, off the back of all of this, and given I’m pretty hot on the Rowan mount and don’t want to open another slo-mo can of worms, is the AZ75 with a handle and encoders sufficient for my rig?

🙏 @moonsafari Only you can answer that question 🙏

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Are you talking to yourself ? 😱🤪🤪😂
You need more clear nights to get out with your Tak 👍

Yet more proof that talking about slo mos too much makes you delirious 🤣🤪🥴🙃

• Haha 1

So, off the back of all of this, and given I’m pretty hot on the Rowan mount and don’t want to open another slo-mo can of worms, is the AZ75 with a handle and encoders sufficient for my rig?

The serious answer though is that yes, only you can really answer this after living with the setup for a while. The setup you're thinking of are good choices for your needs, and many people have similar setups which they are incredibly happy with - so it's going to eventually come down to personal preference which you can only figure out with some time and experience of the setup. 

One of the things we all find at some point on our astronomy journey is a certain purchase may or may not work out to be perfect for what you need but it's often difficult to know in advance, so if you're reasonably sure it's right, you just have to try it and see. Good luck! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, moonsafari said:

It comes down to choices/preferences on cost, weight, portability and Slo Mo functionality. The AZ75 is cheaper, lighter, easier to transport and setup, and will cope with the Tak FC100DC with no problems at all even without a counterweight. It can be fitted with encoders and the handle, all it lacks are the Slo Mos. You pays your money and you takes your choice as they say. I found it a joy to use, having been used to a Giro Ercole it’s a major step up in engineering and smoothness, particularly when unbalanced horizontally. The Ercole gets quite a bit stickier in these circumstances but the AZ75 carries on as smoothly as ever.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, badhex said:

The serious answer though is that yes, only you can really answer this after living with the setup for a while. The setup you're thinking of are good choices for your needs, and many people have similar setups which they are incredibly happy with - so it's going to eventually come down to personal preference which you can only figure out with some time and experience of the setup. 

One of the things we all find at some point on our astronomy journey is a certain purchase may or may not work out to be perfect for what you need but it's often difficult to know in advance, so if you're reasonably sure it's right, you just have to try it and see. Good luck! 

Thanks for this, Joe. Helpful advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

It comes down to choices/preferences on cost, weight, portability and Slo Mo functionality. The AZ75 is cheaper, lighter, easier to transport and setup, and will cope with the Tak FC100DC with no problems at all even without a counterweight. It can be fitted with encoders and the handle, all it lacks are the Slo Mos. You pays your money and you takes your choice as they say. I found it a joy to use, having been used to a Giro Ercole it’s a major step up in engineering and smoothness, particularly when unbalanced horizontally. The Ercole gets quite a bit stickier in these circumstances but the AZ75 carries on as smoothly as ever.

Thanks so much, Stu. 

I've had a chat with Dave at Rowan today, who has been in touch with Berlebach about there being an AZ75 option for their tripods. Dave thinks it should be on the website this week.

Once this is confirmed, I've decided that I'm going to start off with the AZ75 with the Nexus II and the handle.

The postman arrived with a couple goodies today as well.. Slowly coming together! 

D269648E-DD9D-4972-8A8B-1744989DD2B1.jpeg

882D57D6-572B-45FA-959A-8F5388A3B696.jpeg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, moonsafari said:

Thanks so much, Stu. 

I've had a chat with Dave at Rowan today, who has been in touch with Berlebach about there being an AZ75 option for their tripods. Dave thinks it should be on the website this week.

Once this is confirmed, I've decided that I'm going to start off with the AZ75 with the Nexus II and the handle.

The postman arrived with a couple goodies today as well.. Slowly coming together! 

D269648E-DD9D-4972-8A8B-1744989DD2B1.jpeg

882D57D6-572B-45FA-959A-8F5388A3B696.jpeg

The Pentax XW 10mm is a fantastic EP, you will not be disappointed! 

• Like 4

@Nicola Fletcher@SthBohemia@Stu@dweller25@badhex@HollyHound@MalcolmM @JeremyS@BGazing

Hey all,

Given that I'm starting off with the following rig, does anyone have any recommendations in regards to a Barlow or the Tak extender for my FC-100DF, or would it be worthwhile just adding one more high powered eyepiece to my rig below?

– 1.25" Tak prism diagonal
– Pentax XW 10mm and 20mm
– TeleVue Nagler 13mm Type 6
– 1.25" Celestron variable polarising filter

Thanks so much, you've all been incredibly helpful. Still waiting to finalise my tripod and mount setup this week, but was able to grab a sneaky look at Jupiter last night!

• Like 1

@Nicola Fletcher@SthBohemia@Stu@dweller25@badhex@HollyHound@MalcolmM @JeremyS@BGazing

Hey all,

Given that I'm starting off with the following rig, does anyone have any recommendations in regards to a Barlow or the Tak extender for my FC-100DF, or would it be worthwhile just adding one more high powered eyepiece to my rig below?

Thanks so much, you've all been incredibly helpful. Still waiting to finalise my tripod and mount setup this week, but was able to grab a sneaky look at Jupiter last night!

The lower cost route is a Barlow. But for some reason I’ve never taken to them. I use a Tak extender Q with my FC 100DZ (and with my TSA 120, tho it’s a different model - make sure you get the correct one for you scope if you go this route). I find these extenders invisible in use.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, moonsafari said:

Hey all,

The extender advise from @JeremyS is good 👍 

I tend not to use anything other then higher powered eyepieces, but do have ES focal extenders (similar to TV Powermate) for when needed, but it’s rare 🤔

• Like 2