Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner looking to invest into a Tak setup (hear me out)..

3 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

@moonsafari another thing occurred to me regarding mounts. My Giro is great for DSOs with low power. When using high power on the Moon or planets I prefer a driven equatorial that keeps the target centered in the view. It's possible with a manual Alt/Az but it just means some of your attention is in keeping the target in view and not in actually observing it. The planets will whizz through the view pretty quick at x180.

Again - no universal correct answer. Just pros and cons for each solution!

Malcolm

Okay, nice one. Thanks!

@badhex Do you remember what magnification we were looking at Jupiter the other night to give me some context?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moonsafari said:

Okay, nice one. Thanks!

@badhex Do you remember what magnification we were looking at Jupiter the other night to give me some context?

We had an 8mm eyepiece in so about 54x. As you saw the conditions weren't great but it was just possible to start discerning a little bit of detail. Had the sky been clear you'd have been able to see quite a lot more even at that low power. (Focal length of the scope / focal length of the EP = magnifications: 430mm / 8mm = 53.75x)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, badhex said:

We had an 8mm eyepiece in so about 54x. As you saw the conditions weren't great but it was just possible to start discerning a little bit of detail. Had the sky been clear you'd have been able to see quite a lot more even at that low power. (Focal length of the scope / focal length of the EP = magnifications: 430mm / 8mm = 53.75x)

Okay, good to know. Thanks!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stu said:

I’ve not used a DZ, but @mikeDnighthas had both (currently has a DZ) so may be able to advise whether the difference in performance is worth the cost. I think I may be tempted by the shorter wait for the DF and the extra cash to go towards some of these other goodies.

I've had both and there is very little to choose between them. I'm neither experienced enough (yet) as an observer, or had a night of good enough seeing, to see the real difference 🤔

I prefer my DZ more for it's ergonomics, in that it has a retractable dewshield and an (arguably) better focuser (certainly longer travel at least). I think, for me, there is some comfort in knowing that it represents the pinnacle of what is possible in the 100mm Tak doublet scopes 😀

There is a great review here, which highlights the slight improvements... http://scopeviews.co.uk/TakFC-100DZ.htm

The main issue will be availability... there is a massive lead time for the DZ and even the DC or DF can be tricky to get hold of. I delayed getting my DZ and then it went out of stock, and not sure it's ever come back in to stock here in the UK. Fortunately I was able to get a superb used example... in fact mine is the very same exact one, that is in that review, by cheer random chance 😁

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I've had both and there is very little to choose between them. I'm neither experienced enough (yet) as an observer, or had a night of good enough seeing, to see the real difference 🤔

I prefer my DZ more for it's ergonomics, in that it has a retractable dewshield and an (arguably) better focuser (certainly longer travel at least). I think, for me, there is some comfort in knowing that it represents the pinnacle of what is possible in the 100mm Tak doublet scopes 😀

There is a great review here, which highlights the slight improvements... http://scopeviews.co.uk/TakFC-100DZ.htm

The main issue will be availability... there is a massive lead time for the DZ and even the DC or DF can be tricky to get hold of. I delayed getting my DZ and then it went out of stock, and not sure it's ever come back in to stock here in the UK. Fortunately I was able to get a superb used example... in fact mine is the very same exact one, that is in that review, by cheer random chance 😁

Thanks for all of this! Yep, I read that review a couple weeks ago when I started doing my research. I also reached out to Justin who runs this blog and has recently acquired the DZ as well.

I think there's about a four month wait for the DZ at the moment..

Love that you ended up with the scope from the review, that's hilarious..

• Thanks 1

It’s often said that a 4-inch refractor is all the scope you’ll ever need.

So a Tak FC 100 would  be a good choice. I have a DZ and am delighted with it. If you had to wait a few months, then I’d probably do that, just to get the pinnacle of the FC 100 range.

on the ScopeTech mount, I also use one. It’s a bit underpowered with the DZ. Useable, but I’d really want something a bit bigger. So I usually use on an AZ100, but that is overkill. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 15/08/2022 at 15:54, Stu said:

Looks like Mike hasn’t been on since July 8th. @paulastro is he ok, have you heard from him?

Hi Stu.  Yes, Mike is fine, I spoke with him just over a week ago.  He's been busy with various things for some time and hasn't been observing for a few months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Look what just arrived today! Thanks for your help, @Nicola Fletcher@SthBohemia, @Stu, @dweller25, @badhex, @HollyHound, @MalcolmM and @JeremyS!

I've ordered the following:
– 1.25" Tak prism diagonal
– Pentax XW 10mm and 20mm
– TeleVue Nagler 13mm Type 6
– 7" ADM vixen-type dovetail bar
– 1.25" Celestron variable polarising filter

Just need to finalise the tripod and mount setup. Pretty keen on the Berlebach UNI 28 and Rowan AZ75 mount. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience aligning the mount to the tripod and if anyone has used the encoders with the AZ75. Wondering if it's worthwhile spending the extra dosh.. 

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, moonsafari said:

Look what just arrived today! Thanks for your help, @Nicola Fletcher@SthBohemia, @Stu, @dweller25, @badhex, @HollyHound, @MalcolmM and @JeremyS!

I've ordered the following:
– 1.25" Tak prism diagonal
– Pentax XW 10mm and 20mm
– TeleVue Nagler 13mm Type 6
– 7" ADM vixen-type dovetail bar
– 1.25" Celestron variable polarising filter

Just need to finalise the tripod and mount setup. Pretty keen on the Berlebach UNI 28 and Rowan AZ75 mount. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience aligning the mount to the tripod and if anyone has used the encoders with the AZ75. Wondering if it's worthwhile spending the extra dosh.. 

IMG_1235.JPG

Excellent choice, and those items will more than get you going 😀

There shouldn't be any "alignment" on the mount to the tripod, as an alt/az mount. If you have the budget I would get the encoders, as it will give you the option to fit a Nexus or similar later, without having to send the mount back... admittedly, although I had mine fitted with encoders, I haven't (yet) got round to fitting a Nexus, but will do soon 🤔

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

Excellent choice, and those items will more than get you going 😀

There shouldn't be any "alignment" on the mount to the tripod, as an alt/az mount. If you have the budget I would get the encoders, as it will give you the option to fit a Nexus or similar later, without having to send the mount back... admittedly, although I had mine fitted with encoders, I haven't (yet) got round to fitting a Nexus, but will do soon 🤔

Good suggestion re the encoders, I think I'll probably go this way.

Where I'm a bit confused is the following from Dave at Rowan:

The Berlebach tripod heads for the AZ100 have a shallow recess about 5mm deep and 65mm diameter.  The base of the AZ100 mount has a matching spiggot which fits in the recess which automatically aligns the mount thread with the tripod bolt.

However the base of the AZ75 is flat meaning there is less engagement of the thread in to the base of the AZ75 by about 5mm when fitting to the Berlebach AZ100 tripod.
This leaves the thread engagement in the mount a little short for comfort.

So for the AZ75 to fit on a Berlebach AZ100 tripod it would need a longer thread bolt in the tripod.  Then you get the aligning facility of the recess in the tripod.

So the 3/8” DM6 option will be fine if you think aligning the mount to the tripod thread won’t be an issue.

I'm just wanting to know if anyone has run into this issue before and if they've used a longer thread to make this combination work.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, moonsafari said:

I'm just wanting to know if anyone has run into this issue before and if they've used a longer thread to make this combination work.

Ah ok, understood... I've only got experience of the AZ100 unfortunately, so will need to defer this to others... good luck 🤞

• Like 1

On the AZ75 perhaps a comment from me, I was one of the preproduction testers and do not work for or have any financial interest in Rowan Astronomy or Engineering.

The AZ75 with encoders works very well with a Nexus DSC or Nexus I unit, I have used tether DSC and found it very easy to use, I use a 103mm refractor, but a Vixen one. 
The mount sits well on a tripod, but I presently use a 75 on a pier for convenience of setting up.

Alignment needs two known stars and it’s simple to do, must be for me to do it.

The mount would very much suit the Tak scope, the other tester @Stu has a Tak scope or two, he may chip in soon.

AZ75=had two threads running while in testing, one by myself and one by Stu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Alan White said:

On the AZ75 perhaps a comment from me, I was one of the preproduction testers and do not work for or have any financial interest in Rowan Astronomy or Engineering.

The AZ75 with encoders works very well with a Nexus DSC or Nexus I unit, I have used tether DSC and found it very easy to use, I use a 103mm refractor, but a Vixen one. 
The mount sits well on a tripod, but I presently use a 75 on a pier for convenience of setting up.

Alignment needs two known stars and it’s simple to do, must be for me to do it.

The mount would very much suit the Tak scope, the other tester @Stu has a Tak scope or two, he may chip in soon.

AZ75=had two threads running while in testing, one by myself and one by Stu.

Thanks for this, Alan. I've been reading the threads. Will most likely detonate once I've connected with @Stu. Cheers, Josh

• Like 1

Taks are awesome, go for DF or DZ unless you want to shell more on a focuser (these days Feathertouch focusers are a long wait).

Uni 18 Berlebach tripod, you can put it on some simple Altaz and at the same time SW AzGti will handle it well.

4inch Tak is a keeper.

• Like 2