SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Streetlight - suggestions?

Mr Spock

When my scope is pointing south to west, it's in the shade of the shed. When I move it over on the patio to point northwest, I have this problem:

617863369_DSC_0343_DxO1024.jpg.c35d68ccdcd1138f78fb8f3d3eb3f7fb.jpg

Right in my eyeline. I'm thinking of making some kind of shade to fix to the shed, which would stick out enough to block the light. Or maybe a line from the washing line pole to the shed, though a climbing rose makes that difficult. Dunno. Other suggestions welcome!

i have the same problem with 2 street lights. i made a small banner that slips onto a pole at each end. i  had 2 spare extending paint roller shafts which do the job great.  1 light you wont need anything huge. hope this helps.

Wish I only had one streetlight to worry about where I live. Some rope from the washing line to shed to drape something over looks easily doable. I got some black material that I use sometimes to block lights especially when looking for DSO’s.

I use a rectangular frame made of PVC pipe with black shower curtains hung on it.  The bases for the frame uprights are just round plywood tabletop disks with a PVC flange screwed onto them.  I painted the PVC and the tabletops black with cheap spray paint.  You could cut the uprights at an angle so they could be pounded into the ground, I guess.  PVC pipe is cheap and it's easy to modify the design if need be to suit different circumstances if you press fit the PVC instead of gluing it.

You could probably make a T-shaped PVC frame if you go with the banner idea.

flange.jpg

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

I had an issue and spoke to my Parish Council, they arranged to have a shield fitted that prevented backward light into my garden. I wrote explaining why I need less light, they listened.

That was a few years ago. I am now on the parich council and on the planning & lighting committee, though the local borough council are a bunck of........ they do sometimes listen when I write in about new planning for housing and street lighting.

• Like 1