SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi i can't go outside at night to stargaze as the cold weather makes my disability worse and we hardly ever have clear skies where i live..     I'd still like to see what's going on in the sky at night,  can you suggest a youtube channel that streams live events, meteor showers, lunar phases, planets?  I live in the UK.    Thanks.

Ash 🙂

• Like 2

Hi Ash

Sorry to say I can’t help you with the YouTube thing as I have not embraced that much of the modern world.

However! It did get me thinking. Is there anyone out there in the EEVA group that has the ability with tech to allow you access to their live view as they are building an image.

I maybe wrong ( probably) but I would imagine the EEVA capture might be done in a way Ash could view it via the internet in real time, in the comfort of his home.

I don’t do EEVA right now so perhaps this is a reach too far? My question is if this possible is there anyone out there that can give Ash access via the web.

Perhaps the mods could mirror my request in the EEVA section and see what they think?

Marv

• Like 2

can't help either Ash and sorry to hear about your difficulties. 

While a great idea if EEVA users could share, allowing someone outside to connect into your network may not be something others would want to do for security reasons, tho perhaps if they could stream to a web page that is published that you could see then that'd work. Of course you're then limited to what they're looking at and if they're even looking but its something and a lot better than nothing.

Another option tho expensive might be one of those all-in-one little units that you pop outside and connect to via a tablet (or PC maybe) and does the whole capture thing for you remotely. Would mean clear skies and popping out to set up and then bring in but it may work being very short duration exposure to the elements. I'm thinking something like the Stellina or the UniStellar eVscope, sorry but they're pretty pricey tho.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2

On 14/08/2022 at 17:29, alecras2345 said:

Thanks.

Download Stellarium 🙂  My answer to all observing.  it's FREE, skies always clear, no annoying insects-things to trip over in the dark-all latitudes and declinations attainable! I only have mounts and scopes to polish and shine, plus put silly transfers on 🙂 

I think what Ash is asking, is how he can be included in real time astronomy. 
I understand that Stellarium is a great bit of kit but a planetarium is not the real thing.

With all the tech available now, there must be some avenues via the web where people who can’t lug a scope outside, can see a live view of the real thing in real time.

Hence my suggestion about EEVA being a possible gate way for those less fortunate in mobility to have access.

Ash, I hope we find something for you, this is a big forum so fingers crossed.

Marv

One option might be the JWST images that are being aired on the web? Not quite the same but is something and likely way better than we'll see from on-planet. Not so real-time tho and no interaction with someone who is sharing an EEVA session that would maybe give some commentary. 

On 14/08/2022 at 16:29, alecras2345 said:

can you suggest a youtube channel that streams live events, meteor showers, lunar phases, planets? 

Hi Ash, Cambridge astronomy association have quite regular sessions on astronomy and you could join them. Here is a list of previous talks with links to their Youtube http://www.caa-cya.org/catchup.php  You also have https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/space-live and NASA broadcasts all their events so thats another source. I dont think you will find a single source to get all your requirements in one go 😞 Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

What about Slooh, an online option, where you get to learn, it very interactive and you get to book slots to use telescopes via the internet in Chile etc. You can take photos etc in real time and save them, they run lots of events, you can participate in viewing whatever anyone else is looking at via their booked slots, it's like a star party. 

https://www.slooh.com/

There are others too.

• Like 4

@alecras2345

Here is another possibility offered by the Open University. This is a free, short course (with a certificate) in the use of remote telescopes and provides access to one of the OU's own COAST telescopes in Tenerife.

You will have to sign up with the OU and for the course, but it is all free:

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/astronomy/astronomy-online-telescope/content-section-overview?active-tab=description-tab

• Thanks 1

On 28/08/2022 at 08:32, dark knight said:

What about Slooh, an online option, where you get to learn, it very interactive and you get to book slots to use telescopes via the internet in Chile etc. You can take photos etc in real time and save them, they run lots of events, you can participate in viewing whatever anyone else is looking at via their booked slots, it's like a star party. 

https://www.slooh.com/

There are others too.

Another option in a similar area https://www.itelescope.net/

Prices start around £18 per month and they're apparently no quibble if you're not satisfied.  They claim to just refund your last months subscription within 24 hours.

Edit - Also just seen they have a 'try it for free' option with 2 lower end scopes.

Edited by TheycallmeRiver
Extra info
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi is it a good idea to use online telescopes such as slooh.com or itelescopes, what are the advantages?  Are online telescopes used just to capture images as appose to viewing things live?   On slooh.com you can set the telescope to take an image for you and adds it to your gallery.     I'M not sure about using slooh.com because i don't know how to plan what to look at, even though slooh tells you whats visible.   I can't look at objects live i dont think.

Ash

14 hours ago, alecras2345 said:

Are online telescopes used just to capture images as appose to viewing things live? 

You are correct. As you are remotely viewing, in effect there is a camera taking images and sending to you. So its not the same as viewing through an eyepiece in that sense.

EDIT: the only time its 'live' is when you are watching events like eclipse etc., as that would be streamed.

As to planning, you could use software like Stellarium to help you plan on what to see on a certain day & time and get the appropriate time slot on slooh

Edited by AstroMuni

1 hour ago, alecras2345 said:

Can anyone recommend a good cheap remote online telescope?   im fed up of using slooh.com unless im not using it correctly and i dnt know what im doing.

Scroll up a few posts and you will see a free one from the OU that I mentioned. Lots of people have run multiple imaging sessions.

• Like 1