SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need advice on EQ mount and what to use to remote PC control mount+camera

Hi all,

I'm a reasonably serious amateur photographer with limited astro photography experience. I've done some Milky Way and Orion photos. Also did some (for me) nice Luna shots using PIPP+Astrostakkert. My camera setup is Sony Alpha AR7IV (61 mpix) and several HQ pro lenses - 12-24mm F2.8 GM, 24mm F1.4 GM, 35mm F1.4 GM, 135mm F1.8 GM and 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM + 1.4x/2x teleconverters.

I would appreciate it very much if someone could suggest a decent computerized/controllable EQ mount, allowing me to use my current camera gear + remote control from a PC. I seen that there is an ASCOM driver for my A7RIV but I also would like to know how to control the mount itself so I can sit somewhere warm while doing the actual shooting :)

Of course I know that a good telescope + dedicated astro-camera would give me better results. That may come later but right now think a good mount will suffice.

Do you have a specific budget in mind? No such thing as too much mount for astrophotography, so suggestions will be based on how much you will be spending. Also how likely do you think it is that you will be buying a telescope bigger than your current camera kit somewhere down the line? Having a good mount for that already is wise in that case.

Remote computer control of a mount is fairly straightforward and involves just a mini-pc as the scopeside computer and a computer indoors controlling that via remote desktop using the same network. Additionally you will want to have an autoguider in a small guidescope to accurately drive the mount for the best possible images. The myth of unguided astrophotography persists, but in reality there are hardly any mounts (under lets say 3000€) that will actually do that so autoguiding is more of a must than a nice option, but thankfully a simple small guidescope+ guidecamera combo is quite cheap and will work just fine.