Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW Esprit ED80 replacement foot or extension

Has anyone replaced the foot on the ESPRIT ED80 APO?

Issue: there was a similar foot on my EQUINOX ED80, the screws torethrough the body :(

I can think of three options

1. a replacement with a longer integrated dovetail
  2. attach a longer dove tail
  3. remove the foot and attach rings and a long dove tail
  4. open to alternatives

To my mind, 1 & 2 are potentially subject to the noted issue.

Is there no reinforcement plate inside the OTA to spread the load once the foot is bolted up, or does it just bolt into a couple captive nuts?

One other option might be to get a piece of steel strip  of the required length, say 2-3mm thick, ideally with a curve to match the OTA and then drill/tap it to take the bolts and simply refit the foot that way.

Edited by DaveL59

13 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Is there no reinforcement plate inside the OTA to spread the load once the foot is bolted up, or does it just bolt into a couple captive nuts?

One other option might be to get a piece of steel strip  of the required length, say 2-3mm thick, ideally with a curve to match the OTA and then drill/tap it to take the bolts and simply refit the foot that way.

Don't know about the Esprit, but the Equinox threaded into the tube with no reinforcement.

Reluctant to start taking things apart just now - only started using this last week o so :)

Edited by iapa

4 minutes ago, iapa said:

Don't know about the Esprit, but the Equinox threaded into the tube with no reinforcement.

Reluctant to start taking things apart just now - only started using this last week o so :)

ouch that sounds like a weak way to affix the foot considering it'll be carrying the scope and anything else bolted onto it 😞 Would definitely limit what load it could carry. Sounds like tube rings would be the way to go if simply for ease of fixing. Hopefully no bits or debris are now rattling about inside.

May be why, ultimately, the EQUINOX was discontinued years ago. Shame, as part from that it was, and remains, a good OTA now it has rings

But that's the reason I am now concerned about the ESPRIT.

Hoping someone has removed the foot - and can tell me how, for simplicity, and I am useless with my hands.

As you have had better advice from Esprit 80 owners and discovered the internal nuts keeping the foot bolts in place, I've removed my text and youtube link so others can see the better suggestions below.

Steve

Edited by StevieDvd
Removed most of post to avoid confusing others

23 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Have a look at this video it's not overly clear in the first part with regard to removing the foot but appears to be remove the screws securing it to the tube (which are just threaded holes in the thick ota tube).

It's clearer when he removes the focuser as you can then see where the screw holes are, one each side of the internal glass lens - take note of that bit.

Very useful, thanks Steve @steviedvd

I replaced the foot on my Esprit 80 a few years back.

The foot has two threaded holes to accept bolts that go through the tube wall. The tube is not threaded.

To remove the bolts, you'll need to take the focuser off and get a small spanner or mini-ratchet drive of the appropriate size. It's slightly fiddly, but not too hard. And, of course, it's an imperial size...

The most difficult part of the process was sourcing some tube rings of the correct size for the Esprit tube! Eventually I bought some slightly over-sized ones. To make reduce inner diameter, I removed the original felt, cut up some 4" plastic waste pipe into semi-circular pieces and screwed and glued them into the rings. Bit of new felt on top and they work a treat.

I also needed to make a couple of riser blocks so that the dew-shield, focuser and other attached gubbins didn't foul the dovetail.

Apologies for lack of details, but I don't have the rig with me to take measurements, and I cannot find any record of where I got the rings to know the exact size!

rings.jpg.77999d4e4caf885e0eb809ad65b73dcd.jpg

I recently removed the foot on the Esprit 80, there is a thread on here that I followed:

Also I didn't need a spanner or ratchet on the nuts inside the ota, just pushed down on the nuts with a finger (that may work for you). My intentions was to replace with rings and initially went with  Sky-Watcher Tube Mounting Rings Mounting Rings Size: 101 mm. These fitted fine but was told by FLO that "the cast alloy Skywatcher rings then they are not really suitable for bolting other accessories on top.

The alloy is very soft and the 1/4" threads on the top of the ring easily strips."

They (FLO) recommended https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tube-rings/stellalyra-101mm-tube-rings-for-sky-watcher-esprit-80-evostar-80100-ed-startravel-102-and-evostar-102.html with this vixen saddle https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-vixen-style-saddle.html ADM Tapped (sadly still out of stock)

You would still need riser blocks though