SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Supermoon

Mandy D

22 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Yes, it is very intuitive and seems to work quite well. There is one problem with it though, it keeps the camera awake and hence drains the battery rapidly. So, either use a mains PSU for the camera or turn the camera off when not actively using it. Fortunately, I have dual batteries in the D800 and spotted it before the first battery was completely drained.

I'd never be without my mains adaptor for the Canon , you might not notice it too much this time of year but when the nights get cold and crisp batteries don't last long at all ... 😉

30 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

It was clear around 3am, but I was not going to do anything about, looks like cloud for a while now. 

Have you got a Lunar Atlas? this is very good.

https://ap-i.net/avl/en/start

I kept getting glimpses of the Moon and Jupiter before midnight and it looked like it might clear a bit later, but I was fed up of getting bitten by bitey insects!

That Lunar atlas is awesome. I've just downloaded it. Thank you! More for me to learn, now! 😊

When you want more from it go further down the download page and get these, a few at a time is best.

image.png.90d3c540f16a6e595359724bd8aaa7b8.png

You can toggle them on and off in settings.

image.png.8b6785598df07392b53038f34ed66b0e.png

image.thumb.png.8f2ef73d7d7ece3b23479f17f3dd637d.png

image.thumb.png.17476fe5d002cc37692096d541aad099.png

Lots to do on cloudy rainy days, and when the bitey things want lunch!

Edited by Laurieast
  • Like 1

On 12/08/2022 at 16:40, Mandy D said:

Ah, good old VLC. Looks like that might be what I need to get started. I'll see if I can grab a few minutes of video tonight.

VLC is very good but a bit of a steep learning curve, which my old brain needs to relearn each time I need to use it :) !

An alternative for MOV to AVI is VirtualDub, which is also freeware. ( It can do lots of other things as well, like brightness/contrast/crop and more plugin effects )

On 12/08/2022 at 16:42, Steve Ward said:

The MOV files are just a stream of JPEGs and very compressed.

Interesting, I didnt know it did jpeg, that explains why the files are so much bigger when converted to AVI !
I wonder if Canon is limited to only MOV !?