SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Double stars and focal lengths

Hi,

They say aperture is king, it seems quite obvious when looking for fainter objects.

They also say focal length is better for double star observing.

I have the heritage 130p reflector but was wondering whether or not a skymax 102 would be better for double star observing based on the above calculations?

I look forward to hearing peoples thoughts on this.

Thanks.

There are two reasons why they say that aperture is king.

More light gathered = more chance of seeing fainter objects. This usually means DSOs, but could also be important if you're observing doubles with a very faint component.
But a larger aperture also means greater resolving power, other things being equal. That's obviously important when observing tight double stars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CKP said:

Hi,

They say aperture is king, it seems quite obvious when looking for fainter objects.

They also say focal length is better for double star observing.

I have the heritage 130p reflector but was wondering whether or not a skymax 102 would be better for double star observing based on the above calculations?

I look forward to hearing peoples thoughts on this.

Thanks.

The 130p is good enough to show excellent views even with good-quality, relatively expensive eyepieces. A range of 4-10mm EPs would be great for doubles if you can afford them (Pentax XWs, Baader Morpheus, etc).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

The 130p is good enough to show excellent views even with good-quality, relatively expensive eyepieces. A range of 4-10mm EPs would be great for doubles if you can afford them (Pentax XWs, Baader Morpheus, etc).

I do have a range of bst eyepieces and a x2 Barlow. Hopefully these will be enough, took a while to get this set, I don't really wanna start a new set 😬 

Quite understand: I started with a BST 8mm myself and it was great EP for the price. My problem is that I wanted a larger FOV, thus the Pentaxes and Morpheus. If narrow fields of view don't bother you, also consider the Vixen NPL and SLV ranges - both excellent for the price. The 30mm NPL makes a very good 'finder' EP for not much money at all.

• Like 1