Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

On this day 23 years ago

Ibbo!

On 11/08/2022 at 19:44, Louis D said:

Well, 5 years ago on August 21st, I was in Nebraska capturing this image:

1421566956_TotalEclipseresized1_filtered.jpg.8c9976c1fd8007a45c70ca8a9e7ba6fa.jpg

But I have absolutely no idea what I was doing on August 11, 1999. 😁

Not a coincidence, 'your' eclipse was one Saros cycle after the 1999 eclipse. 223 synodic months later: i.e.18 years, 10/11/12 days (depending on how many leap years) and 8 hours.

The 8 hours is why 1999 happened in Europe and yours was in North America..

Edited by Gfamily
  • Thanks 1

On 11/08/2022 at 21:11, Paul M said:

Ah, remember it well.

I planned ahead. We were in near perfect conditions on the center line in Bulgaria 😎😎 🇧🇬 

Same here too!

Where in BG did you view it from?

Myself and small group from Reading Astronomical Society went to Krapets 🇬🇧 / Крапец 🇧🇬

1235651022_BGmini-sheet1.jpg.4d16b3d48c26a80590336aaf094f3b54.jpg<--- a 'mini-sheet' celebrating the 1999 solar eclipse issued by the BG post office/service.

translation of top line (on the stamp)...
[BG] 🇧🇬 ПОЩА БЪЛГАРИЯ
[EN] 🇬🇧 MAIL BULGARIA

translation of left side...
[BG] 🇧🇬 11 АВГУСТ 1999 ГОДИНА*
[EN] 🇬🇧 11 AUGUST 1999 [YEAR]

translation of bottom line...
[BG] 🇧🇬 ПЪЛНО СЛЪНЧЕВО ЗАТЪМНЕНИЕ 
[EN] 🇬🇧 TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE 

* it is common practice in many Slavic countries that use the Cyrillic alphabet to add the word 'ГОДИНА' or 'Г' after the year.

Edited by Philip R
added Bulgarian to English translation.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Philip R said:

Same here too!

Where in BG did you view it from?

Myself and small group from Reading Astronomical Society went to Krapets 🇬🇧 / Крапес 🇧🇬

1235651022_BGmini-sheet1.jpg.4d16b3d48c26a80590336aaf094f3b54.jpg

I can't remember a name. We were on a normal package holiday to Golden Sands but when we arrived I shopped round the local vendors offering transport to the center line. Had to be careful, the local tour  outfits were still using Soviet era customer service methods!🙊

Anyway, best I remember is that we were on a rocky headland right on some coastal cliffs. Looking on google Maps this looks right but it wasn't that developed then

Shabla
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gWKQTutmK6i1nNxJ7

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

I was a few miles north of Verdun.  What a sight. I recall a bus full of passengers drove past with its lights on? All I could think of was why is he not stopping.

In Nebraska, we were observing from the center line at a liquid fertilizer depot.  They had workers moving tanks around.  As long as we stayed well away from them and left no trash, they were okay with us being there.  As more people showed up closer to noon, the business owner gave all his workers an impromptu couple of hours off so they could get their families and observe the eclipse as well.  They were oblivious to what was going to happen right above them.  I picked the tiny town on purpose figuring that would be the case, and I was right.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1