SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

August 11th jupiter

neil phillips

4 minutes ago, si@nite said:

A nice smooth Jupiter there Neil with some lovely detail coming through, never went out this morning what was your seeing like down south!

It was strange actually Simon. It started very positive. But I soon realized although there was no jet stream apparent. other local effects were causing problems. it kept de focussing. something ive seen a lot here recently. I also kept seeing to a lesser extent heat moving past the planet. like pockets of warm air. So a mixed bag. The de focusing was the biggest problem. That and a touch of wind. which really kills my setup AKA  under mounted scope lol 

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

A early capture from this morning 245 mm Orion Newt

01_54_05_lapl8_ap23_Drizzle15.tif ps.tif 75.png

Nice large detailed image, as I mentioned, I get an image around that size using a 5x Powermate with the Esprit 150 and the ZWO 462, but its dim and blurred and I can't improve it that much after stacking and processing in Registax and Lightroom. Nothing like the detail I can see visually looking through the telescope,  clearly I must be doing something wrong.  

John 

Edited by johnturley

48 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Nice large detailed image, as I mentioned, I get an image around that size using a 5x Powermate with the Esprit 150 and the ZWO 462, but its dim and blurred and I can't improve it that much after stacking and processing in Registax and Lightroom. Nothing like the detail I can see visually looking through the telescope,  clearly I must be doing something wrong.  

John 

It sounds like your oversampling John You should be around the F11 range so a 1.5x  should get you in the ball park So dont use more than a 1.5x barlow. Having said that i have great results oversampling in the past. But its not great advice. 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

It sounds like your oversampling John You should be around the F11 range so a 1.5x  should get you in the ball park So dont use more than a 1.5x barlow. Having said that i have great results oversampling in the past. But its not great advice. 

Neil

With a 1.5x Barlow, the image would be really small, I attach an image taken on 09.08.22 showing the Ganymede shadow transit using a 2x Barlow, still a bit on the small side, and nothing like as detailed as your images, but much better than I got using the 5x Powermate.

Maybe I should start trying with the 14in Newtonian, a 2x Barlow would give me f10, and a 2.5x Powermate f12.5, but with a focal length of 1800 mm, the image size would be about 80 % bigger than that through the Esprit to start with. 

John 

Jupiter 4 Processed.jpg

Edited by johnturley

Thats looking very smooth, In fact Neil I would say thats one of your best so far this campaign. Especially with the strange seeing we endured last night. I was struggling to get a focus on Saturn and Mars was a complete waste of time up here.

On 11/08/2022 at 19:50, morimarty said:

Thats looking very smooth, In fact Neil I would say thats one of your best so far this campaign. Especially with the strange seeing we endured last night. I was struggling to get a focus on Saturn and Mars was a complete waste of time up here.

There saying we are under a heat dome. Its obviously the effects of that. Which is defocusing the images. I even saw the effects of that. under good seeing with the GRS. But was only happening briefly before returning to tight focus. In fact i have been seeing this effect in variable proportions for weeks. Its a very particular type of poor seeing. It makes the air act like a variable lens. constantly changing the focus point. Correct me if I am wrong I will bet the other night. You was constantly refocusing. it would stay for a few seconds then go off again. That's the effect. The atmosphere acting like a variable lens. 

Cheers for the comments 

Edited by neil phillips