SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Zomz 7x50 Binoculars from 1975

Trevor PC

Hello Pete 

As always many thanks for responding.

That looks an interesting option, will look for owners views on them, could still be a problem with the unsupported s is de dropping, will look for information on how to tighten the centre pivot!

As always many thanks for your assistance.

Trevor

If it helps, under the end-caps of the hinge that are really just trim you'll find something like:

image.png.c4db33bbc90d95fceb627c8a68a09752.png

The red arrow points to where a tine set screw should be that locks the large screw once tightened to the required level as I'd mentioned before. Finding a suitable screwdriver for that large brass screw can be harder as its brass so easy to chew up. I use an old woodwork screwdriver as its an ideal fit.

image.png.f0023d20ef4b0d1ffd54894059537a24.png

Take care with the set screw however, old and may well split the slot head if too much force is used, they you'd need to find the size and order a replacement, or as I did, re-tap and use what you had available...

Edited by DaveL59

• 1 month later...

I have a 1976 pair off eBay for about £40, with original everything except the booklet. I wouldn’t part with mine - can’t get that quality of view these days for less that a good couple of hundred. My neighbour has a set of 10x50 Carl Ziess Jenoptem from early eighties. He wouldn’t part with his either. Is there something about the older binoculars that you don’t get today without parting with serious sums ?