SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Zomz 7x50 Binoculars from 1975

Trevor PC

Hello 

After reading many reviews I decided to go for the above binoculars for star gazing. The reason for these is that they were supposed to pin sharp across almost the whole of the view and I thought it would complement my two Tal telescopes.

They were found on flee bay for a reasonable amount .

They came in their original presentation box with its original paper work, along with original leather case with both sets of eye filters all in mint condition taking into account their age.

So out they come from the packaging , and first day light test proved that lenses, where free from dust, with no sign of fungus  All good so far next collimation and again to my eyes spot on, quick refocus, and wow tack sharp across the field of view, will have to wait for a clear night to see how they perform.

An area where I could do some advice on is a suitable tripod mount, so any help would be much appreciated from any one who has these.

PXL_20220811_082128259_copy_768x1020.jpg

PXL_20220811_082316822_copy_1020x768.jpg

PXL_20220811_082914012_copy_1020x768.jpg

PXL_20220811_095032991_copy_1020x768.jpg

PXL_20220811_082414576_copy_1020x768.dng PXL_20220811_082539192_copy_1020x768.dng PXL_20220811_082602483_copy_354x267.dng PXL_20220811_082652448_copy_599x451.dng PXL_20220811_082539192_copy_1020x768.dng

• Like 4

Those look in excellent condition, like new in fact! How's the case, is it one of the ones that smell 'funky'?

Russian bins are generally good tho perhaps a little crude mechanically but they work and are expected to be able to operate at very low temps which may explain any slack in the threads, or not. Optically they acquired some of the Zeiss gear at the end of WW2 so their glass is usually very good.

As to how to tripod mount you'd need the type of clamp that fits to the central hinge tube, something like this tho you'd want to make sure the clamp clears the prism housings enough to allow for IPD adjustment.

Opticron Centre Focus Bar Binocular Tripod Mount for Binoculars: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Hello Dave 

As always many thanks for responding.

Let me know if my present attempt of uploading photos has worked.

Did look at Opticron mount that you mentioned, but after measuring the gap at just  around 32mm not sure they will fit, the right way up.

The  case has some marks, but nothing major, will be taking on it down to a local leather guy to see if he can improve it, the lid clasps and straps are all mint, and an added bonus no fishy smell though they are 47 years old.

As previously mentioned they are a bit on the rare side, mint condition,having all the paperwork, presentation box and a silver inscribed plaque indicating they were a 25 year anniversary present from a wife to her husband in 1976, which me being a sentimentalist I found quite touching.

Any other thoughts on a suitable tripod mount  would be appreciated.

As always many thanks for your assistance.

Regards 

Trevor 

I did wonder what those dng files were, I tend to just use MS snippy tool and paste what I've selected for posting pics. Agree on the plaque, clearly a gift with special sentiment attached.

I've seen other centre hinge clamp mounts appear on the bay every now and again case of searching and with a saved search get it to email notify. There are also the strap-down type that Nikon amongst others sell, not sure how well they work on ZCF type bins tho as I'd expect they would affect the IPD when you tighten the straps.

Hello Dave 

I have seen a Nikon mount that could work failing that will have to keep an eye out for one of the original Russian mounts.

Dave do you know of any way I can edit the title in to get rid of the "Zomk"

Regards

Trevor 

11 minutes ago, Trevor PC said:

Hello Dave 

I have seen a Nikon mount that could work failing that will have to keep an eye out for one of the original Russian mounts.

Regards

Trevor 

Think you just click into the title, might need to hold the button a few seconds and it'll let you. It throws me each time tho as it looks like you're editing the first post all over again but does work

Nice find. I used to collect former-USSR rangefinder cameras (yes, niche maybe!) and still have several. They often get slated for poor production quality, sometimes justifiably but their optics were always good designs by the contemporary standards. I still have quite a few lenses and they produce excellent images.

Your bins possibly won't be multi-coated but I bet they perform really well. Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Those look in excellent condition, like new in fact! How's the case, is it one of the ones that smell 'funky'?

Russian bins are generally good tho perhaps a little crude mechanically but they work and are expected to be able to operate at very low temps which may explain any slack in the threads, or not. Optically they acquired some of the Zeiss gear at the end of WW2 so their glass is usually very good.

As to how to tripod mount you'd need the type of clamp that fits to the central hinge tube, something like this tho you'd want to make sure the clamp clears the prism housings enough to allow for IPD adjustment.

Opticron Centre Focus Bar Binocular Tripod Mount for Binoculars: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

In the 1939-45 war the Russians got the Zeiss factory, equipment, designs and slave lab workers and continued to produce the pre-war Zeiss designs to Zeiss specs which is why the early Russian optical kit is so good.

When the Berlin wall came down and Russia opened up we started to see the stuff that was not previously 'export' quality and some of it was pretty dire.

Nigel

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Astrobits said:

In the 1939-45 war the Russians got the Zeiss factory, equipment, designs and slave lab workers and continued to produce the pre-war Zeiss designs to Zeiss specs which is why the early Russian optical kit is so good.

When the Berlin wall came down and Russia opened up we started to see the stuff that was not previously 'export' quality and some of it was pretty dire.

Nigel

I'd agree that mechanically some didn't review well, I think Zomz tho are one of the better ones. I've a pair of Foton 7x35 roofs and while they had varying reviews on the mechanicals, good ones were just that, very good and luckily mine are in that category. Optically they're very nice so I'd be tempted to add other russian made bins if they came up at the right price point etc. Scopes, well I've 3 TAL's which are excellent in my view tho a touch rudementory on the mechanical side for the newts.

Hello Pete_Gamby

Thanks for those two options would be interesting to see if the strap method would effect the eye distance, and with the the manfrotto its the possible stress it puts on the unsupported side of the binoculars.

Trevor

1 minute ago, Trevor PC said:

Hello Pete_Gamby

Thanks for those two options would be interesting to see if the strap method would effect the eye distance, and with the the manfrotto its the possible stress it puts on the unsupported side of the binoculars.

Trevor

There's not really any extra stress on the other side from the Manfrotto clamp, but does rely on the hinge being tight enough to support the bins without the unsupported side drooping.

Hello Dave

I do see what your saying, I am not sure the unsupported side wouldn't drop!

Has any one got or used the Russian centre pivot clamp as used on the Trento 20x60's which  I see as the ideal situation, as they are made to fit zomz/,Trento binoculars.

Trevor 

not got one of those but have a look at this option

KAISER 6032 BINOCULAR CLAMP TRIPOD ADAPTER MOUNT BINOCULARS TO TRIPOD 4001072060325 | eBay

Might work if you can find one in stock somewhere. Either way do be aware that the ones that clamp on the central hinge bar will mar the paint over time and do need the hinge to have enough resistance to prevent the sides from drooping. That's something you can sort easily enough tho as under the end covers there's the bigger screw that tightens the hinge movement. Just beware of any tiny set screws that lock it in place or you'll shred those. Have had to re-ta a couple where previous owner had used force not realising there was a set screw, easy enough if you've the right tap and screws 😉 

Edited by DaveL59

1 hour ago, Astrobits said:

Way back in the 1970's I was told by Jim Hysom ( he of AE ( Astronomical Equipment) fame ) that he had dismantled and tested some Russian binoculars and every surface was !/10th wave. 😳

Nigel

I’ve seen that said of Tal mirrors too- fine quality 👍 Incidentally when i bought my fullerscope the seller told me the mirror was a Hysom :) 

Mark

On 11/08/2022 at 13:06, Trevor PC said:

Hello Dave 

Regards

Trevor 

Done it for you. Just edit the first post.

ps Only upload images in either png or jpg format so that they can be viewed in the browser.

Lovely Bins👍..

Optically excellent. The 7mm exit pupil means that dark skies are needed to get the very best performance from these, but I used a pair in Bortle 4 skies for some time and got excellent results: - very sharp across most of the field and pinpoint stellar images.

Dave

Hello Dave (F15Rules) 

I live on the edge of town with a Bortle rating of 4 -4.5 , the sky was clear last night and the views of the night sky was just as sharp as I had hoped, looking at the moon there did however seem to be a little be of a reflection, which wasn't to unexpected.

So overall very happy with the bins, next is to try to purchase one of the original Russian tripod clamp mounts.

Trevor 

• Like 1