Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRS 10TH August

neil phillips

A bit windy. which on a EQ5 With the big Newt its not ideal. On occasion it flew off screen. But kept pausing the bad moments. there was enough calm to allow some detail through. The high pressure seems to be helping seeing. 

Same stats as the double shadow

01:36 UT

2022-08-10-0139_4-DeRot_ 10th aug.tif  sg.png B.png

2022-08-10-0139_4-DeRot_ 10th aug.tif  sg.png B.png G.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 15

Start getting a bit OCD after a while. Trying different things to extract more detail. spending ages on one image. when i should be looking at them all. 

Probably with only slight differences. Having fun though. its like old times. 

Did you guys go out last night ? 

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Oooh, these are really nice....!! 👏 Were they captured with the 462C?

Yes Geoff It was the 462 c. Great camera. I cant be bothered with RGB Anymore. Once you get to the level of the 462s capabilities. I think The difference is not as huge as it was in the past perhaps. I have a 178 mono but only for solar and lunar now. There is something to be said for a easy life. But only of course when the camera delivers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, si@nite said:

Superb Neil bang on they are your best by far!

2 hours ago, si@nite said:

Superb Neil bang on they are your best by far!

You know its weird Simon i left my cap on when the scope was drying two weeks ago. its left the optics slightly misty. Where before it was clear. its clearly not enough to stop it performing. But i do suspect its taken the edge off. Maybe levels. I am uncertain. Been thinking of cleaning yet again. But also nervous of it not going well. will be the third time in about 2 months. decisions. Especially now i am starting to get results. Annoying

9 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Yes Geoff It was the 462 c. Great camera. I cant be bothered with RGB Anymore. Once you get to the level of the 462s capabilities. I think The difference is not as huge as it was in the past perhaps. I have a 178 mono but only for solar and lunar now. There is something to be said for a easy life. But only of course when the camera delivers.

Thanks Neil, I've been eyeing the ASI 462M for some time, not least as a colour camera will be better for events like the upcoming lunar occultation of Mars, so perhaps now is the time to pull the trigger and start to learn how to optimise using it. Do you use any filters with it, e.g. for IR long pass, or is that only with the 178?

Also where in Suffolk are you (PM me if you don't want to go public with that), I'm in South Norfolk, so only 10 miles from the Suffolk border and it might be good to meet you sometime.

45 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Neil, I've been eyeing the ASI 462M for some time, not least as a colour camera will be better for events like the upcoming lunar occultation of Mars, so perhaps now is the time to pull the trigger and start to learn how to optimise using it. Do you use any filters with it, e.g. for IR long pass, or is that only with the 178?

Also where in Suffolk are you (PM me if you don't want to go public with that), I'm in South Norfolk, so only 10 miles from the Suffolk border and it might be good to meet you sometime.

Hi Geoff the 462C has a very good IR Response so is certainly useful if someone wanted to do a IR channel of any kind. In fact deep into the IR at 850nm it actually becomes mono. As the colour matrix becomes transparent. Which for me experimenting. Is most useful for Venus. And possibly Mercury. The only problem that deep into the IR. Is the resolution hit that it takes.

I have found for planets. or even lunar. Its actually too much. A case of overkill. And a certain amount of softness and or detail loss will occur. For me personally other than Venus I prefer to use it as a straight colour camera  just using a IR UV Cut. For which it is excellent for.

I haven't tried Mars in IR 685 yet. Which could be quite interesting. Anyway Back to your other question. I am in lowestoft. I will PM you later today regarding the other suggestion. 

Cheers Geoff 

• Thanks 1