Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some blueish planets - Neptune and Uranus

Kon

I had another go on trying to get Neptune and Uranus. Neptune a nightmare to image with long exposures and manual tracking; i had to up the gain and exposure. I was at 19 fps 😂. I am not doing it again! Uranus was nice and I managed some IR data showing some convincing features. 8" Dob, manual tracking, 2x barlow, UV/IR cut or IR pass filters. PIPP, Autostakkert and Registax. First one is Neptue and then Uranus in colour and IR. 1.5x drizzle for all.

image.png.f224db54ccc67ff38da9d7420e1e41a4.pngimage.png.ee0a85839ffd259290e2b58d6c39b467.pngimage.png.75002cd0b22246b360c423e6ee894a27.png

• Like 9

9 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Pretty sure your getting faint banding on Uranus there Kon. It looks similar but much fainter to what i got a few years ago with a sky watcher 300p. 

It has the same one sided  appearance. I will bet your getting banding on Uranus well done. 

I agree, I am convinced the banding in the colour image  is real considering this is a new capture and processing, and it is still coming back. The IR is fine. I want to try it once it is higher up in the sky ( I need to check what period it is good for imaging).

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Perhaps compare markings with those of Peter Tickners images on the BAA website https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20220809_221912_70f5f5ba3e8dee6e

Thanks Jeremy. The IR captures seem very similar in my eyes (especially if I bring my whites down as his image); his colour one seems to have the darker cast on the left similar to mine; the screenshot from @Laurieast shows a similar darker side.

• Like 1