Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double shadow Jupiter 9th August

neil phillips

Had a brief moment were seeing was trying to calm.

The large moon is Ganymede the small Io. 245mm Newtonian F6.3 QHY 462 C Baader UV IR Cut Baader Q Barlow SW E5 PRO Mount 1.5x drizzle. downsized to 85%

Bottom image full 1.5x drizzle

02:03 UT

03_03_02_double shadow 1.5x drizzle.png 85.tif E.png

03_03_02_double shadow 1.5x drizzle.png smooth.png l.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 34

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Fantastic. I really like the features on the moon. I was out same time.

I saw the double shadow on stellarium. Checked the stars it looked twinkly. So avoided bothering on Saturn. But the double shadow was too tempting. Glad i did as mentioned briefly a little bit of calm was trying to come through. Didnt last too long. and started getting more variable

Btw how was the seeing your end ?

Edited by neil phillips

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

I saw the double shadow on stellarium. Checked the stars it looked twinkly. So avoided bothering on Saturn. But the double shadow was too tempting. Glad i did as mentioned briefly a little bit of calm was trying to come through. Didnt last too long. and started getting more variable

Same here, I was not planning to be up but I noticed it as well. I got a decent Saturn I think.

Superb capture Neil, some detail showing on ganymede too, i love multiple transit shots but never have always been lucky enough to catch them, again great stuff well done!

Btw what pane (roi) was you using as a capture window!

Edited by si@nite

4 minutes ago, si@nite said:

Superb capture Neil, some detail showing on ganymede too, i love multiple transit shots but never have always been lucky enough to catch them, again great stuff well done!

Btw what pain (roi) was you using as a capture window!

I usually use 640x480 for plenty of space. But with the moons i used 800x600

Cheers for the comments Simon. I know what you mean i tend to miss a lot of special events interesting capture moments. 

7 minutes ago, Dragon_Astro said:

Excellent capture, so much detail.

I was out a bit later, about 3:30 and there was only one shadow transitting.

Must’ve been Ganymede judging by the position :)

On my capture i can see two transits at that time was that 3.30 UT if so that explains it ? 

6 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

On my capture i can see two transits at that time was that 3.30 UT if so that explains it ? 

Would be UK time :)

I was using a 6” newt, so I think the smaller shadow might’ve been too small for me to pickup, compared to your large newt.

12 minutes ago, Dragon_Astro said:

If I had a better Barlow I might’ve spotted it….do you rate Baader Q?

Ive not used it for visual. I screwed it straight into the ADC to lower the power a little. But for imaging it seems fine. as you can tell here its colour correction and sharpness seems ok

17 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Details on the moon's! great results, and a slightly elliptical shadow from Ganymede. 

Thanks Stellarium showed the moon shadow elliptical too i noticed. But not IO

Edited by neil phillips

43 minutes ago, oldfruit said:

Stunning, detail on Jupiter is great but the detail on the moons! Excellent capture.

Thanks old fruit. i got deja vu. Many years have come and gone. We still enjoying the gas giant. its great for the UK to finally start getting it back. After years of losing it. We are all so much older now

• Like 1

7 hours ago, morimarty said:

Absolutely superb captures Neil the detail on ganymede is like looking at a mini mars shot as it is now.👍

Hi Martyn. I could tell looking at stellarium that the moon should show some detail. I was surprised by the fact that it shows part of the moon itself in eclipse. All captures are showing this the same. By the time I get to capture 9 it looks like Ganymede itself is coming out of the eclipse. Ive not imaged or noticed that effect before. A first for me. Something that doesn't happen a lot. At this old age. 

Thanks for the positive comments

Edited by neil phillips