Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 Dumbbell Nebula

MKR

Hi,

This is my first attempt of narrow band imaging. ASI1600MM, SW 200P@HEQ5 pro, guided with ASI224MC.

Took about 30x300s of Ha and 40x300s of OIII. I don't really like stars on this one, not sure why? Too many or maybe too red? Quite please with the the nebula itself though. Stacked in DSS, processed in PS.

Happy to hear what could be improved! Thanks.

M27_Aug_2022_5.jpg

• Like 8

Nice image, and I agree with you, the stars are distracting from the focus object. I see a steep learning curve for you my friend, I see the purchase of a PixInSIght license for you in the near future! There are a lot of processing programs out there, and I have tried a lot of them. PixInSight seems to be the go-to for the really good images. Pix has a tool called "Morphological Transformation" which in simple speak is the ability to reduce the tiny stars with one slider and the click of the mouse. 

It was pointed out to me a few years ago that background stars should/could be a source of Light Pollution. I was embarrassed as all get out that this concept hadn't been seen by me.......  It also seems you were almost on the verge of over exposing your image, "less is more sometimes in AP".

All-in-all this is a win for your first attempt at NB imaging. Keep at it. 

• Thanks 1

Got a new version - same data but processed differently. I think I have managed to remove some of the little stars. Also  it was a bit too red I think! Hope it's better now :)

This time sadly stars have a greenish/blueish tint which I was struggling to remove 😕

M27_Aug_2022_6.jpg

• Like 1