Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Elephant's Trunk in SHO

Tommohawk

Hi all.

On a roll with SHO at the moment, and this target positioned nicely for a sensible start time - once I'd done some serious tweaks to the meridian limit (2 hours past the meridian.... and about 2mm before mount collision!)

Quite please given such a short integration - I'll try for some more tonight and also get some BB star colour. Well, that's the plan anyhow! Processed this the same as my other NB but somehow the colours don't look quite right? Happy for comment criticism! 

HEQ5 SW200PDS ASI1600 cool ZWO NB filters (newer series) NINA, APP, PS. 15 x 300s subs each filter, -20C

365952485_ElephantsTrunkSHOPSV3copy.thumb.png.2c22a4e7ee66e8a17b093b1a37fd0ac0.png

2054203589_ElephantsTrunkSHOPS.thumb.png.7bcaf36379f16c4c05ffdea853c98062.png

Edited by Tommohawk
  • Like 18

Hi and thanks for the nice comments and likes!

I have now added another slightly longer nights worth of data, so 36 x 300s subs per channel. It's allowed a much better data stretch though TBH the data for this target is pretty good didn't really need much of a stretch. More a case of toning it down!

I still don't have the star colours done in BB, but there was pretty full moon throughout this so not a good time for BB. Hopefully can do sometime soon.

I've added the new image at the top and left the old one for comparison.

Very nice image. I think the colour combination is good. Nice contrast between the different regions. I think the first of the two images gives a better effect. The colour palette makes the features stand out more.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, powerlord said:

nice detail. I always look to see an actual elephant at the tip of the trunk - and you've got him/her there.

stu

Thanks Stu. TBH perfectly honest I've never quite figured out where the elephant actually is in this image! Maybe I just don't have much imagination!

5 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Very nice image. I think the colour combination is good. Nice contrast between the different regions. I think the first of the two images gives a better effect. The colour palette makes the features stand out more.

Thankyou! Yes the first image is the later one with more data. I know Hubble palette isn't to everyone's taste, but I agree that it makes the best use of the data even though it's false colour.

27 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

This is my version with a modified hubble palette. Bit gloomier and using a lot more data, but an alternative view of this popular object. I think you have produced a stunning result!

Thanks. Your image is great... a bit more subtle than mine I guess - makes mine look a bit overcooked! 

Edited by Tommohawk

21 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Thanks. Your image is great... a bit more subtle than mine I guess - makes mine look a bit overcooked! 

Brighter yes, overcooked no. So much is down to personal choice with processing. I looked at yours and thought, maybe mine is a bit dim. It could be brighter. Plenty of my non-astronomer friends would prefer your version. Also the slightly wider field displays the Elephant's Trunk to better effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommohawk said:

I've never quite figured out where the elephant actually is in this image! Maybe I just don't have much imagination!

Once seen, you can never un-see it 😉

image.png.a72cae68fd246d1b55250e0eed6c2c50.png

Edited by Laurieast
  • Like 1