SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEQ6 pro main board replacement and ftdi eqdir cable

Rob20236

hi all.

im about to replace the mainboard on my neq6 due to various problems including the tracking randomly stopping with this board.

i know all the connections are different so ill have to purchase new power cable but i was wondering as i have the lynx astro ftdi eqdir usb adapter for the az gti , will that work with this new controller board for the neq6?

on the website it states that all the skywatcher mounts use the same adapter with the ftdi 232r chipset, yet flo  has 2 versions on their site for sale.

will i have to buy another or will the az gti version work?

thank you in advance

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-az-gti-mounts.html

IMG_1730.jpg

The only difference between the two cables mentioned is the connector at the mount end of the cable. The NEQ6 along with many mounts has an RJ45 connector. The AZ-GTI though uses an RJ12 connector. These connectors are a different size, and number of pins, hence the two cables supplied by FLO.

If you want to use both mounts then you'll need one of each of the cables listed. It's possible to make an adapter cable between an RJ12 socket and RJ45 plug so that the AZ-GTI cable could work with the NEQ6, if you're experienced in working with RJ series connectors, but it would be a bit of a bodge and I wouldn't recommend it. 🙂

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Thanks 1

If the mount has a USB - B socket like that shown above you can use a normal USB A to B cable as the mount has a the TTL serial to USB chip set built in.  The only difference being that it used the Prolific driver and needs the virtual com port in device manager set to 115200  baud

• 2 months later...

Hi Rob,

Question from an other Rob, me. I have problems to with my mount, stops tracking, sais limits are reached and get varios comm erros in EQMOD.  Tested te mount with all I can swab, but keep having the problems.

I was wondering if you already replaced the motherboard an if so are you problems over? And do you perhaps have a part number of the board. All 'astro' shops I find in Europe have the old type motherboard. I guess with the part number I can find it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Rob (Spain)

Rob, sounds like you have the limits enabled in EQMOD.  

Untitled.png.c1c494ee8d344c6fad54ea6804ff1d87.png

Click the spanner to set the limits to reflect your horizon or obstacles in the scopes line of sight, or just untick the enable box., but be mindful that the mount could then end up pointing in weights up positions or running the OTA into the legs of the tripod if not monitored correctly 

Not sure if it will do anything, but I know Chris often suggests using the Toolbox to backup and then delete the configuration files (general and alignment data) and then see if that clears the error - Maybe worth a try