Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter with GRS under very good seeing

Kon

I think this is one of my best Jupiter captures so far; the seeing was pretty good at around 430am. I am happy to finally have the GRS in prominent position. 8" Dob, asi462mc, 2x barlow, UV/IR cut filter. PIPP, Autostakkert and Registax.

image.png.39a6d00f385ba74686df9e244f975b31.png

• Like 18

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Thats excellent Kon. your best so. Lots of good detaiil coming through. You must be pleased with that. Well done.

Thanks Neil. Yes very happy; I tried to apply much of the advise you have given me on processing. Thanks a lot!

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Thanks Neil. Yes very happy; I tried to apply much of the advise you have given me on processing. Thanks a lot!

Your welcome, and to think your using no tracking. Superb imaging. its not easy getting results like this with no tracking. Accurate colour too. 

Just now, neil phillips said:

Your welcome, and to think your using no tracking. Superb imaging. its not easy getting results like this with no tracking. Accurate colour too. 

Yes still manual but it shows that good seeing is paramount in this hobby. I hardly had to sharpen it today. For your info, I had the histogram to 95-105% for experimentation. I will go through my other captures at around 70% and see if that made a difference at all.

15 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yes still manual but it shows that good seeing is paramount in this hobby. I hardly had to sharpen it today. For your info, I had the histogram to 95-105% for experimentation. I will go through my other captures at around 70% and see if that made a difference at all.

Thats, interesting was that the combined histogram. My histograms combined 70%, will have numbers like yours in split colour.

Sharpcap shows you combined white histogram. And split rgb together on a graph

But I only get numbers like yours RAW split colour RGB, if i dont do RGB white balance. (equalize all 3channels to the same output ) today i tried white balance RGB Equalized from Raw

Edited by neil phillips

31 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Thats, interesting was that the combined histogram. My histograms combined 70%, will have numbers like yours in split colour.

Sharpcap shows you combined white histogram. And split rgb together on a graph

But I only get numbers like yours RAW split colour RGB, if i dont do RGB white balance. (equalize all 3channels to the same output ) today i tried white balance RGB Equalized from Raw

Easy on me, still learning 😀 so I will try follow.  I use asicap for capture and the histogram displays the RGB split (I think that's what you refer to). There I tried to set the gain to around 95% across but as we know these numbers fluctuate. From my log file I have:

White Balance (B) = 95
White Balance (R) = 47

I am not touching the WB in my capture (it is off and my red is at 47 and blue at 95; they are the defaults) but I do it in PIPP as you suggested before and maybe a bit more in Registax to get the colours right. Happy to send you the .avi file if that's of any use.

I hope I have answered your questions.

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Looking very good, I was watching Jupiter from my B and B window in the early hours of this morning. The imaging view looks perfect with Jupiter and Saturn both nicely positioned over the sea

Having them higher in the sky is great. I am not sure but since Saturn moved to my S horizon it's not as good or I have not got that good seeing yet.

Gosh you are up early on your holiday 😉. I hope you enjoyed the views.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Without a doubt your best so far, very well done.

Thanks Martyn. Yes very pleased. Processing bad data the past few weeks was worth it to get my skills for this good moment. I hope to have some more chances this week.

5 hours ago, Kon said:

Easy on me, still learning 😀 so I will try follow.  I use asicap for capture and the histogram displays the RGB split (I think that's what you refer to). There I tried to set the gain to around 95% across but as we know these numbers fluctuate. From my log file I have:

White Balance (B) = 95
White Balance (R) = 47

I am not touching the WB in my capture (it is off and my red is at 47 and blue at 95; they are the defaults) but I do it in PIPP as you suggested before and maybe a bit more in Registax to get the colours right. Happy to send you the .avi file if that's of any use.

5 hours ago, Kon said:

White Balance (B) = 95
White Balance (R) = 47

No worries the essence was combined histogram reading cant be too high. Your right to be experimenting. You will know when you have gone too far. It will be whited out in the hottest parts. Caution dont experiment too far under good seeing. A great capture with burnout is not fun.

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

No worries the essence was combined histogram reading cant be too high. Your right to be experimenting. You will know when you have gone too far. It will be whited out in the hottest parts. Caution dont experiment too far under good seeing. A great capture with burnout is not fun.

So going with this approach of histogram , whatever value, makes sense? The images look fine so I assume it is right?

Experimenting is the only way to find how things work.

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

So going with this approach of histogram , whatever value, makes sense? The images look fine so I assume it is right?

Experimenting is the only way to find how things work.

Exactly.

I wouldn't go any higher the equatorial zone looks borderline. Any higher might be pushing it

• Like 1