Narrowband

INDI saving videos on the remote host, despite me using a file path on the client!

pipnina

I tried my hand at imaging Jupiter the other night and was confused as to why video files weren't showing up on my PC indoors. I checked the file path, even changed it manually. Then in the morning I went down to shut the setup down and realised my laptop (controlling the scope, and hosting the indi server) had the videos saved there!

Is there a way to get it to send videos to the client instead of the host? I don't currently have a way of grabbing files from the laptop while I'm indoors, save for going outside myself haha.

Just a bit of an odd quirk.

Hoping to have another go tonight as the weather is *supposed* to be good. Fingers crossed.

Guess your rig is controlled by a Pi, or something, if so, it runs linux. Most likely the whole Kstars application runs on this thing, and you use some VNC to monitor it from inside on a windoze machine. Run like this, your Pi is a server for it's own client. You only monitors and control it from inside.

First, I will advice you to try running only the server on a headless Pi on the rig, and a laptop with linux/Kstars/Ekos inside, and use the Pi as a server and your laptop as a client. If you like things as they are, and just want the images to travel directly indoors, you have to use some network file sharing. The place where linux and Microsoft meets to do this is Samba. Samba is included in almost all linux distro's as default, most likely in your Pi too, if not it can be installed by a couple of lines in the shell. Can't help you setting this up, havn't used windoze since y2k. In this way you can VNC into your Pi as usually and set the filepath for your images to a samba-share on your indoor-laptop. Will demand some heavy bandwitdh, though...

If you already use linux on your indoor laptop, then NFS is the thing to reach for. Very simple to set up, and on this issue I might be of some help!

1 hour ago, Rallemikken said:

Guess your rig is controlled by a Pi, or something, if so, it runs linux. Most likely the whole Kstars application runs on this thing, and you use some VNC to monitor it from inside on a windoze machine. Run like this, your Pi is a server for it's own client. You only monitors and control it from inside.

First, I will advice you to try running only the server on a headless Pi on the rig, and a laptop with linux/Kstars/Ekos inside, and use the Pi as a server and your laptop as a client. If you like things as they are, and just want the images to travel directly indoors, you have to use some network file sharing. The place where linux and Microsoft meets to do this is Samba. Samba is included in almost all linux distro's as default, most likely in your Pi too, if not it can be installed by a couple of lines in the shell. Can't help you setting this up, havn't used windoze since y2k. In this way you can VNC into your Pi as usually and set the filepath for your images to a samba-share on your indoor-laptop. Will demand some heavy bandwitdh, though...

If you already use linux on your indoor laptop, then NFS is the thing to reach for. Very simple to set up, and on this issue I might be of some help!

I currently have a laptop (Ubuntu) out with the telescope, that runs the indi server in a terminal. I use Kstars inside on my desktop.

It saves normal images in the camera module on my indoor PC, but the videos stay on the laptop for some reason. I may go the VNC route as you suggest since it would be good to be able to adjust PHD without going outside as well.

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, pipnina said:

I may go the VNC route as you suggest since it would be good to be able to adjust PHD without going outside as well.

Not sure if I understand your setup. What OS is on your inside desktop?  You run Linux/Kstars/Ekos (with PHD2 for guiding) inside, and a laptop with Ubuntu at your rig that runs the INDI-servers (and only those) in a terminal window?  Or do you run Windows/Kstars inside, and Kstars/Ekos/PHD2 on the Ubuntu laptop outside? The fact that you must out to correct PHD2 points to the latter. You must run PHD2 on your laptop outside, and it gets it's input from the INDI-servers on the same machine.  Anyway, the Ekos-window you open when you start your session treats the file paths in accordance to where it self sits. And the fact that the images travels indoors suggest you have some kind of network. Sounds like a complicated setup. And why the videos are reluctent to come indoors, I don't know.

44 minutes ago, Rallemikken said:

Not sure if I understand your setup. What OS is on your inside desktop?  You run Linux/Kstars/Ekos (with PHD2 for guiding) inside, and a laptop with Ubuntu at your rig that runs the INDI-servers (and only those) in a terminal window?  Or do you run Windows/Kstars inside, and Kstars/Ekos/PHD2 on the Ubuntu laptop outside? The fact that you must out to correct PHD2 points to the latter. You must run PHD2 on your laptop outside, and it gets it's input from the INDI-servers on the same machine.  Anyway, the Ekos-window you open when you start your session treats the file paths in accordance to where it self sits. And the fact that the images travels indoors suggest you have some kind of network. Sounds like a complicated setup. And why the videos are reluctent to come indoors, I don't know.

Outside it's a laptop with ubuntu, indi server in a terminal and the PHD2 app
Inside it's an Arch Linux desktop with Kstars

Indeed it seems you're as perplexed as I am. I think in the end I will just choose to setup the VNC or remote desktop and pull the files over through my NAS box.

1 hour ago, pipnina said:

Outside it's a laptop with ubuntu, indi server in a terminal and the PHD2 app
Inside it's an Arch Linux desktop with Kstars

Anyway, under linux PHD2 uses INDI (as far as I know), so it should be possible to run it from inside. Btw, I have settled on the internal guiding in Ekos, took some time to master it, but now it works at least as good as PHD2. Kstars is a child of KDE, which in turn is King_Of_Options. Ekos started to guide well on it's own once I learned to configure the camera. PHD2 took care of this itself, but in Ekos you must sort out all the options in the INDI Control Panel on your own, without much hand-holding.

Cheers!

On 06/08/2022 at 17:29, pipnina said:

Is there a way to get it to send videos to the client instead of the host?

What is the setting against Save: in Capture tab? If its local it will save on device where Kstars is running and if Remote then the device where indiserver is running. You can also set it as Both. Hope this helps

image.png.40e1f404c79083d548dda508e46a7cec.png

But its indeed odd that images are stored locally but videos are not. What tool are you using to capture videos?

Edited by AstroMuni

5 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

What is the setting against Save: in Capture tab? If its local it will save on device where Kstars is running and if Remote then the device where indiserver is running. You can also set it as Both. Hope this helps

This setting works well for normal photos but I can't work out how to get the capture tab to queue videos in sequence :  (

9 minutes ago, pipnina said:

This setting works well for normal photos but I can't work out how to get the capture tab to queue videos in sequence :  (

BTW, Ekos is not really geared for planetary captures. I tend to use Firecapture for that. So use Ekos to manage the mount etc and Firecapture for the images. In your case run FC on the Linux laptop nearest camera and remote into it from your laptop inside your home. You can run Kstars from either device.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1