Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weight limit of observation chairs.

col

I was going to have a go at making an observation chair and was describing what it was too my wife when she said "why not buy one", to which I replied, "they can be dear, dear" 

Now I didn't expect this, but she said " if it's the last thing before Christmas then go ahead" 

So I'm looking at chairs at first light optics, but what struck me was the weight limits on them. 

I'm 21 stone and it looks like the limit on most is 20.

The one that has a higher weight limit is the Asterion variseat. 

I like things made of wood and so like the look of the Berlabach chairs, but they are only up to 20 stone. 

Is this the strict and highest weight limit, or is it just a guide. 

As it looks like the Asterion is the only chair able to take my weight. 

Cheers guys. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, col said:

Is this the strict and highest weight limit, or is it just a guide.

There has to be a safety margin applied to all such things and it's probably at least a factor of two if it's been properly engineered. If it's made in China, who knows?

A 5% overload on the chair is likely to be perfectly OK. The chair also has to handle dynamic situations such as you dropping yourself into it when you first sit down and this is the time it is most likely to collapse. Lower yourself in gently and it will probably be fine.

The general rule is that you do not overload things beyond the specification, but in real life many people do, even if inadvertently.

You'll have to make your own mind up on this, as it is your safety which is at risk.

• Like 3

It's one of those do I risk it scenarios.
If I were buying it I would be thinking that if something is guaranteed to 20 stone then more than likely 21 stone would be fine but then if it were to break and cause injury I guess you have no come back on the manufacturer.
Personally I would be surprised if it is happy to support 20 stone and then you go 5% over it would break,
However, it's not a car or other item in use by millions of people so is probably not tested that rigorously.

Personally I would buy one in that situation and then take a good look at it and if I was worried I would beef it up myself  as I am quite handy at woodwork and as an Engineer quite good at assessing how strong things are likely to be, but I think the decision has to be yours as you are the one sitting on the thing and the only one likely to get injured. You could try contacting the manufacturers and asking the question as that is more likely to put your mind at rest. 

Steve

• Like 1

I have the Berlebach Charon and I’m 17 stone.  My experience of the chair is that the seat bends slightly more under my weight than I thought it would.  I don’t feel like it’s right on the border of breaking or anything, but being 3 stone under the weight limit I didn’t expect to feel any movement at all.

• Like 1

Thanks Mandy, I see what your saying. I'll do some more looking and have think. 

I do intend losing weight, but as we all know that sometimes doesn't happen. 

• Like 2

I got this "sturdy workshop stool" for my observing...

image.png.0229bba703573df154d8360cf7d1d023.png

Weight limit is 150kg = 23.5 stone or so.  I'm (cough) about at that limit and the raise and fall mechanism works very nicely and it's all very stable.

It's not available any more where I got it, so I can't provide a link... but maybe you can find something similar?

• Like 3

Another thing to consider is the size of the chair seat relative to....how can I put it....the size of your anatomical seat. I've just bought the relatively cheap Geoptik Nadira chair and the seat area is hardly massive in area. I've added some padding of my own and it's just about comfortable with my size rear end. If you are having to shift your position to get comfortable on the hard seat then you could be straining the chair structure and potentially making it unstable.

If I had any woodworking skills at all I'd have made one to fit my personal physical specifications but if you can find one that you think would match the size of your rear end then that would be great.

Edited by LaurenceT
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Some members have adapted commercial chairs to make them sturdier and more stable:

That's a superb modification but as soon as I saw the words "woodwork shop" my enthusiasm drained away😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zermelo said:

Some members have adapted commercial chairs to make them sturdier and more stable:

That would be me!

I'm 18 stone and while the Geoptik Nadira Observing Chair as standard did take my weight, I found that the upright part flexed quite a bit, especially on the top two seat settings. I didn't feel safe, particularly outside in the dark at the edge of a terrace. The seat itself is also very narrow and so not that comfortable.

I am pretty handy with woodwork and could have made a chair but the price of a sheet of suitable plywood was more than the cost of the Geoptik Nadira!

There is no need to go to the lengths I did though. The upright just needs reinforcing with two lengths of wood fixed along the edges and a wider seat added on top of the existing one.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PeterC65 said:

That would be me!

I'm 18 stone and while the Geoptik Nadira Observing Chair as standard did take my weight, I found that the upright part flexed quite a bit, especially on the top two seat settings. I didn't feel safe, particularly outside in the dark at the edge of a terrace. The seat itself is also very narrow and so not that comfortable.

I am pretty handy with woodwork and could have made a chair but the price of a sheet of suitable plywood was more than the cost of the Geoptik Nadira!

There is no need to go to the lengths I did though. The upright just needs reinforcing with two lengths of wood fixed along the edges and a wider seat added on top of the existing one.

There’s some good info here. I do “woodwork” too and my woodwork shop is an old wooden table next to our bunny cage. Of course the “shop” is only open if it isn’t raining. 

And the price of wood has recently skyrocketed. Even more so than astronomy gear. I’m surprised that the chair hasn’t gone up, although now it’s very good value!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ED Splitter said:

I’m rather confused as to how these  seats are positioned. Is it the case you sit under the eyepiece or perched above it?

I guess it depends on the scope and the eyepiece position. With a dob you are positioned with your eye at or just above the eyepiece looking directly in (depends if the eyepiece is horizontal or angled up a little. With a refractor or Mak/SCT you are above, looking down into the eyepiece. Some people angle the diagonal so as to look in from the side, but my brain dribbles out through my ears trying to work out directions to move the scope if I do that, so I don’t!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I guess it depends on the scope and the eyepiece position. With a dob you are positioned with your eye at or just above the eyepiece looking directly in (depends if the eyepiece is horizontal or angled up a little. With a refractor or Mak/SCT you are above, looking down into the eyepiece. Some people angle the diagonal so as to look in from the side, but my brain dribbles out through my ears trying to work out directions to move the scope if I do that, so I don’t!

Ha yes I see. I rather like looking at the moon side on at a diagonal, it makes it look more exotic seeing shadows run in different directions.
I am tempted by such a chair. Never thought i would be tempted to buy a dedicated chair, not as exciting as an eyepiece etc but I think I’ve been swayed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I’d update this thread, I lost 3/4 of a stone and opted for the Asterion Variseat as I read a review on here and thought that sounds the strongest.
It certainly is strong and rock solid  and I’m very pleased with it. Loads of height adjustment and a stitched padded seat which has been comfortable, but I’ve only used it for between one and two hours so can’t say yet for longer spells. But I don’t think it will disappoint.

Probably the best accessory I’ve got as the difference in comfort and no aching back was incredible.

The review I read was very good  so I would say key in the chairs name in the search bar and have a read.

highly recommended by me that’s  for sure.

• 3 months later...