Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 12 x 36 IS III arrived

JeremyS

40 minutes ago, THEGREAT said:

Is there a way to try to fix the problem for this model (other than returning)?

If they are new, send them back. You shouldn't have to keep something that doesn't work!

• Like 4

Congratulations @JeremyS

My 15X50 IS are just more of the same thing. Would never have bought them, but for along service award - 20yrs ago. No end caps, no problems at all. Work fine with rechargeables and my case has room for spate batteries. No regrets and many holidays later but ..........

🗯Warning 🗯 I turned them from wildfowl to the sky, and now have four telescopes.

Collimation should be perfect, definite fault. However the extra stabilising element adds a little CA, compared to good static binoculars. The IS advantage is still overwhelming. I have managed M33, let alone the Southern sky.

PS Canon have stuck with the Vari Prism system, but the latest type III are no doubt better in some way. Even my old ones are capable of panning very smoothly. Check this on other IS systems. When the batteries weaken mine just turn off the IS - still useable. 

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the information and positive affirmation regarding the suitability of Canon IS binoculars for astronomy 👍

I’ve just ordered a pair of the 15x50, to add my arsenal 😀

Will be interesting to see how they compare with my Lunt 16x70, which I use mounted on a Neweer job camera crane🤞

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It works - rubbing alcohol. It takes the tacky rubber off and leaves a shiny surface. A lot of hard work though. I'll continue tomorrow. I'm not sure they look as good without the matt finish, but at least now they wont leave black marks on my clothes.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Michael..no problem for me either, as these particular bins live in my car for "just in case" nature spotting etc: they're mainly plastic body anyway, but some rubber trim such as on the focussing wheel has this stickiness, and it makes them almost unpleasant to the touch, quite "gooey" almost..worse in hot weather..

Dave

• 9 months later...

How are you finding these @JeremyS

The recent conditions have got me hankering for some IS bins, think they’d be perfect with winter approaching and the jet stream loving sitting above my house. 
Are they enough in terms of mag and fov? I’d primarily want them for clusters, asterisms and starfields, throw in some Galilean moon dances and ice giant spotting too.

• Like 2

The Canon 15x50's IS are one of my favorite astronomy purchases ever. I live in Bortle 7 skies and the 15x magnification really darkens the sky. The image stabilization gets rid of the jitters you would get from using such high magnification in a handheld pair of binoculars. The image quality exceeds my mid-range non IS binoculars such as the Celestron Trailseeker ED, and the Meade MasterClass Pro ED.

Canon.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 12x36 IS III since August and I’m still happy with it. I found This case for it (which is good but too expensive).

What you don’t read often in reviews is that the amount of movement you still notice depends on your own stability. I didn’t experience ‘rock steady’ images while standing, but when I sat down in a chair with arm support….there it was: everything you dreamed of before buying these binoculars. This subject was recently discussed in the Actual Astronomy Podcast as well 

On 16/10/2023 at 15:15, IB20 said:

How are you finding these @JeremyS

The recent conditions have got me hankering for some IS bins, think they’d be perfect with winter approaching and the jet stream loving sitting above my house. 
Are they enough in terms of mag and fov? I’d primarily want them for clusters, asterisms and starfields, throw in some Galilean moon dances and ice giant spotting too.

Sorry, I only just spotted this.

Yes I’m still enjoying the IS binos. I ve taken them overseas with me a few times and had some great views. I’ve particularly enjoyed them on the summer Milky Way when in Greece.

• Like 2

I have a pair of Mk IIs which have now gone sticky so I might try the alcohol rub. The other problem I have is that the eyepieces fog up as soon as I raise them to my eyes. (My 8x40 Olympus binoculars do not.) Has anybody else had and hopefully, cured this problem?

Jim

On 09/08/2022 at 20:29, Alan White said:

I often ponder about IS binoculars, but the cost is always too rich for me.

Having looked at this particular model, perhaps, just perhaps I might be tempted.

Thanks for the post though Jeremy as very much food for thought and very apt as on holiday with Binos in Pembrokeshire at the minute.

Keep yer eye out on ebay. I got my set off there for just over 200 quid. Even my parents were impressed..and that is a rare thing indeed with technology.

• Like 2

On 30/10/2023 at 08:43, Jim Smith said:

I have a pair of Mk IIs which have now gone sticky so I might try the alcohol rub. The other problem I have is that the eyepieces fog up as soon as I raise them to my eyes. (My 8x40 Olympus binoculars do not.) Has anybody else had and hopefully, cured this problem?

Jim

Zeiss antifor might help the latter issue, the former can be removed with a moderate bottle of elbow grease and a box of isopropyl alcohol wipes….. rub, rub, rub and you’ll get the sticky patches off. I’ve got a sticky-free “half naked” 12x, undecided if I should recover it with some grip tape or other coating?

peter