Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 12 x 36 IS III arrived

JeremyS

My first image stabilised binocular arrived yesterday. Got to try it last night. I am left with the question “why did I not get IS bins before?”.

The first time I pressed the IS button, when viewing the moon, I thought it had taken a picture: the image was rock solid and amazing detail seen. Also tried on the Milky Way, M13, M31.  Think I glimpsed M56. But the most remarkable was Albireo. Without IS I could see 2 stars, but turning it on revealed them totally static and well resolved. Coloured too. Needless to say eps Lyr was also impressive when not jiggling about.

It means I can study the field and objects in more detail without paying much attention to holding the bins rigidly. Can see Saturn is lobed.

These will be great to take on overseas trips when I don’t want to take a complete scope.

E87D26D3-D323-4CA3-85BD-3EECF0512A8A.thumb.jpeg.1973d8032a528b2de72dbffc59f573cd.jpeg

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 25

But seriously though these sound super interesting. The ludicrous 50x (digital) zoom on my phone camera does image stabilisation and it's remarkably good - I wish you could turn it on for lower zoom levels, like the 5x optical zoom. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, badhex said:

But seriously though these sound super interesting. The ludicrous 50x (digital) zoom on my phone camera does image stabilisation and it's remarkably good - I wish you could turn it on for lower zoom levels, like the 5x optical zoom. 

They just work. No dramas.

Have a look at Roger Vine’s review 

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Canon12x36ISIII.htm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badhex said:

At the risk of giving @Stu a heart attack shouldn't this be in the EEVA section 🤣🤣🤣🤐🤐🤐

Are you guys trying to give me a heart attack? Next thing you’ll be complaining about is that they don’t have slow motion controls….. 😱😱😱🤪🤪🤪🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 5

So I’ve spent a few £100 on some lovely Canon bins but they don’t supply lens caps to protect the OGs. Seems Canon don’t have them available, but I found that others use Opticron ones. Seem to work, but still a bit surprised. I hope it’s not. Tak slippery slope of aftermarket accessories 🤣

Part number on box in second photo should anyone want to know

47202D11-2B32-4AE6-8707-9715CF2852BE.thumb.jpeg.0d25561310170ebd268dbea7420843f7.jpeg9E48B6D6-0789-44CC-A708-6B25C788761E.thumb.jpeg.b3a1921c0b632d49438643c7a1f907a4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

My first image stabilised binocular arrived yesterday. Got to try it last night. I am left with the question “why did I not get IS bins before?”.

The first time I pressed the IS button, when viewing the moon, I thought it had taken a picture: the image was rock solid and amazing detail seen. Also tried on the Milky Way, M13, M31.  Think I glimpsed M56. But the most remarkable was Albireo. Without IS I could see 2 stars, but turning it on revealed them totally static and well resolved. Coloured too. Needless to say eps Lyr was also impressive when not jiggling about.

It means I can study the field and objects in more detail without paying much attention to holding the bins rigidly. Can see Saturn is lobed.

These will be great to take on overseas trips when I don’t want to take a complete scope.

E87D26D3-D323-4CA3-85BD-3EECF0512A8A.thumb.jpeg.1973d8032a528b2de72dbffc59f573cd.jpeg

Great piece of kit, Jeremy..

Are they easy to Handle? :glasses12::rolleyes2:

• Haha 5

Until recently I had three pairs of Leicas, ranging from 20 years old to current models … none ever came with front lens caps. I never use front caps anyway, they stay in the boxes for my other bins, but I do find rear caps are essential.

Btw this is a dangerous thread for me, I must hurry away quickly…

M

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Yes, but they don’t come with lens caps and now @Stu reminds me they have no SLOmo’s either!

If you press the IS button on and off really fast while panning around it will be just like slow motion 😂

• Haha 2

I had a look at M27 last night. Very easy to pick up, of course, and easy to see. But switch on the IS and - ping! - rock solid, like taking a pic!
So what’s the difference? I think it actually allows for more pleasurable viewing - you can enjoy the view rather than worry about wobbling. That in turn means you can see more, including fairer stars in the field.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

No mention of “they’re fragile as they’ve got gubbins in” or “they rely on batteries” yet?!!! Good to hear that people are just using and enjoying them. I don’t have any end caps, but I have kept mine in a peli1150 case all their increasingly long life. If/when the rubber goes all icky you can rub the worst bits off using IPA soaked alcohol swabs. I find mine fit the “binocular or spotting scope” gap well, using them one handed people think you’re mad, but the view i still nice and steady. Have to say I’ve seen almost none of them out and about, seems the lack of advertising means others don’t discover their potential.

@Stu, @Captain Scarlet you’d enjoy them!

Peter

PS when the batteries need changing they can give some off putting image judders… you’ll think they’re bust… put in new batteries and normal service will be resumed 😉 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These would be great for taking on holiday 😃

I took my little Monarch 8x30 with us to Rhodes and they were lovely for both casual observing from the balcony and also sightseeing, but having stabilisation would take it to next level 👍

Thanks for the reports and long term usage updates, they’re all helping to move my decision to consider these 🤔

• Like 1

I often ponder about IS binoculars, but the cost is always too rich for me.

Having looked at this particular model, perhaps, just perhaps I might be tempted.

Thanks for the post though Jeremy as very much food for thought and very apt as on holiday with Binos in Pembrokeshire at the minute.

• Like 1

Always admired these. It’s very tempting as am heading to the farne islands the end of the month. I think they would do rather well birding on a boat tour. 
lovely to hear you’re getting great use out of them. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ED Splitter said:

Always admired these. It’s very tempting as am heading to the farne islands the end of the month. I think they would do rather well birding on a boat tour. 
lovely to hear you’re getting great use out of them. 

We bought our 10x30IS after seeing a review on the Channel 5 Gadget Show which looked a variety of IS binoculars and video cameras in a small boat.

We used to use them for astronomy, but we more often use binoculars on a tripod now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gfamily said:

We bought our 10x30IS after seeing a review on the Channel 5 Gadget Show which looked a variety of IS binoculars and video cameras in a small boat.

We used to use them for astronomy, but we more often use binoculars on a tripod now. 

Is that leaning the tripod back in a chair or not? Quite like the idea of using binoculars to scout night sky targets, particularly when your near zenith and the straight through finder is torturous. 

24 minutes ago, ED Splitter said:

Is that leaning the tripod back in a chair or not? Quite like the idea of using binoculars to scout night sky targets, particularly when your near zenith and the straight through finder is torturous. 

Generally looking at targets lower than 40-45° or so. There's enough to be looking at within that range (!)

For higher, it's often suggested to bring the legs together and use the tripod as a monopod, or to put your hands at the eyepiece end and rest your forefingers against your brow to give stability (as shown here https://binocularsky.com/binoc_hold.php )

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

Generally looking at targets lower than 40-45° or so. There's enough to be looking at within that range (!)

For higher, it's often suggested to bring the legs together and use the tripod as a monopod, or to put your hands at the eyepiece end and rest your forefingers against your brow to give stability (as shown here https://binocularsky.com/binoc_hold.php )

Many thanks 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently received an online purchase of Canon 12x36 IS iii binocular. Being my first IS bino, this is indeed a very useful feature.
However I wasn't lucky enough to receive a copy without collimation problems, that some older posts on here seems to have mentioned.

It is not an absolute disaster, to have completely two images formed, but it is enough misaligned to cause that unpleasant feeling that makes you not want to look too much time through them and feeling eye strain and discomfort after a while.

Is there a way to try to fix the problem for this model (other than returning)? I wonder if other users had this issue recently.

Thanks

• Sad 2