SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Third Time Lucky: Orion/Helmerichs 200: 4/5th August 2022: first session in 3 months

It seems it’s been nearly three months since I last had an observing session, mid-May was my last report. That was partly down to returning to the UK at the end of May to complete on my UK house sale, not taking any scopes with me, and partly the weather not being conducive once I returned to Ireland in early July. Twice though I got as far as setting out a scope to cool, only to have to bring it back in again under full cloud.

68293176-3DF2-4025-A698-29B03762C319.thumb.jpeg.05ce118b895f47f82d84ad6ef1a547b0.jpeg

Last night was third time lucky: although it was in fact cloudy as I was setting up, it was forecast to clear and clear it did. It turned into as transparent a night as I can remember here, mag 21.5 pointing the meter directly up at the Milky Way zenith-streak. I regret not having brought out the 12”, but I’m doing a re-arrangement of the garage at the moment and it would’ve been too difficult. As easy as possible was the order of the evening, so I grabbed my Ayo2 and stuck my Orion/Helmerichs 200mm newt onto it. Serge recently sent me some new firmware for my Nexus DSC, and I was keen to test that, too (my Ayo2 has encoders).

Again for ease and convenience I sited it on the North-facing patio just outside the garage, a decision I would regret come the end of the session, as by 1:30 – 2am I could see Jupiter nicely elevated over the top of the house towards the South-East, but my mount wasn’t nearly high enough to get it through the scope.

First up: Collimation. The tilt of the secondary needed tweaking a little for my Glatter to hit the centre-spot, which reminded me that I must replace the (Orion) Phillips-head fittings of those three collimation bolts. Trying to get my Phillips-head screwdriver to site-and-bite properly in the dark, and then having to apply actual inward pressure for enough purchase to turn the bolts cleanly was rather irritating. I have a full set of Torx and Hex fixings for this scope which I haven’t fitted yet. I much prefer Hex fittings for the secondary bolts (even over thumbscrews, actually), as the Hex-L tool provides totally non-slip leverage, and if necessary a very long arm for extremely precise small adjustments. The Primary’s collimation, the important one, was still spot on from my last session in May, as gauged with a Barlowed laser, so no adjustment needed there.

After initial Alignment of the Nexus DSC, with a couple of false starts slewing below the horizon owing to the firmware having restored default settings to assumed scope Initial orientation (thinking I was starting pointing straight up as per Dobsonian as opposed to level), I was ready to go.

First target: The Veil Nebula. The first filter I ever got two or three years ago was a 1.25” Astronomik Oiii, which I have used to observe the Veil a couple of times before, first in a Heritage 130p, then (I vaguely recall) in much more detail with a SW 300p. Recently I bought from @Astro_Gaz a 2” Baader Oiii filter. Although the case labels it as a CCD filter (what’s the difference between CCD and visual filters? It says narrowband 8.5nm on it, whereas the 1.25” Astronomik has  perhaps a wider gap?), I have very dark skies here so I had good hopes for it for visual. I wasn’t disappointed.

I put in my Nagler 31 + 2” filter (giving 32x, 2.5 degrees and 6mm exit pupil), tapped in NGC 6960 (Western Veil) and Wow! I’ve not seen it that wide-field before. I really got a sense of each prominent half being part of a single large bubble. With 2.5 degrees FoV I couldn’t quite get the whole thing into one field (I’ll need my 650mm FL LZOS 105 for that), but it wasn’t far off, and just by moving the scope a touch I could bring the other side into view. Pickering’s Triangle was also evident, a first for me, mainly because I knew where and what to look. I took out the Nagler 31 and replaced it with my DeLite 18.2, showing more fine detail at higher magnification (55x 1.1 degrees). Memorable. Finally I removed both filters and had a look again … no sign of the Nebula. Lots and Lots more stars, but I could not see any hint of the Veil. It’s possible it had moved out of the FoV, but also that the myriad extra bright stars simply drowned out the low-contrast feature. I’ll try again.

Various failed objects in Cygnus. I had screenshotted @Nyctimene’s recent Cygnus report for reference during the session, and for ease chose from there just two open clusters, NGC 6910 “Rocking Horse” and M29 “Cooling Tower”. Stupidly, I hadn’t looked them up so didn’t really know what I was looking for, a schoolboy error with OCs. So neither was a tick. Next time, now I have looked them up.

M31. I couldn’t resist having a look at the Great Andromeda Galaxy at 32x, and it was suitably satisfying, dust lanes evident and of course M110 and M32. I’ll never tire of looking at this. I also quickly looked at M33 which was easily enough evident, but lower down and in my worst “light-dome” direction. A patch of fuzz but no discernible spirality.

M52, Nova (not), Airplane. I had an idea to look to see if the famously variable Nova in Cassiopeia was still around, so I found M52 (very nice in Nagler 31 wide-field), I found with some difficulty the Airplane asterism – nearly drowned in stars and not used to seeing it so big through a scope rather than binoculars – and quickly realized I was never going to find the Nova candidate with that many stars and without knowing its exact coordinates. So I gave up on that. I’ll try again with bins over the next few days. Is it still around?

To finish off I also couldn’t resist the two show-stoppers, Epsilon Lyrae and M13. The double-double was beautifully resolved using my Delos 6 (167x), and similarly M13 was splendid, though I couldn’t make out the Propeller this time. I did just about find its little companion NGC 6207 though.

By 2am it was time to pack up. The temperature had dropped to around 11-12 with a breeze, and although I was wearing a down jacket, my bottom half was only shorts and sandals. My freezing toes drove me in. All in all a satisfying if not especially ambitious session, but very pleased to get my dark-sky-Milky-Way fix. I find it’s good for my mental health. And, I noted afterwards, NO DEW, yet again. Last year I seemed to have been cursed with it, but IIRC the last 10 sessions I’ve had there’s been barely any. Very lucky.

As I write this, 2220 the following evening, it’s clear once again, though Luna will be an hour later setting of course. Nonetheless I have the same rig out and cooling, but on my South side this time, to try to catch Jupiter quickly before bed.

Thanks for reading, Magnus.

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 12

Very nice report Magnus. The Veil is fabulous with an OIII filter, it really gives definition to the ‘flames’ in the Eastern Veil. And like you, I find the nebula is all but invisible without the filter, unless the skies are really dark.  I can get the whole complex in with my 4” refractor, but the best views are with the bigger apertures like yours. You’re right about needing to familiarise with some of these open clusters before going out, especially in the star rich regions of Cygnus. There are a number of Collinder clusters I want to track down but I will need to prepare carefully (and will probably never find the time!). 

• Like 1

Brilliant read Magnus I am sure I have seen NGC6910 & M29 but you have reminded me of them. Can I ask did you use a SQM, I was going to try and get one but they are way out of my pocket at the moment. £200.

Best Wishes 

Paul 

• Like 1

Great report Magnus! Indeed Astronomy is beneficial for stress relief and mental wellbeing! I reckon doctors should prescribe "astronomical observations" instead of medications. I'm about to order UHC and OIII filters, great to hear they work well. Wishing you clear skies!

Joe

• Like 1