SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

STARSENSE EXPLORER APP UPDATE - PLUS COMPATABILITY INFORMATION.

paulastro

The app was updated to version 1.1.7.2 yesterday, August 4th.

When I was searching details of the new update I came across something very useful for finding out if your phone is compatable with the app.  Previously I thought the Celestron list for compatability was the place to go.

However, as most people know by now, it only includes the phones they have tested and also it can have your phone on the list  but under another name so that it appears your phone is not on there when it actually is!

Go into Google Play, search for Starsense Explorer and press on it. You will see the following.

576586468_Screenshot_20220805-151503_GooglePlayStore.thumb.jpg.220d80a85cd900cfceb9e0c91c9749b0.jpg

It shows the date of the app update. Tap on the arrow to the right of What's new, and this appears.

683882672_Screenshot_20220805-151723_GooglePlayStore.thumb.jpg.43a8b353239946ccfb6c759633759c87.jpg

Scroll down to the bottom and you will see this.

396395440_Screenshot_20220805-151840_GooglePlayStore.thumb.jpg.4a37ce7df92b53b37ddf251f5aa56432.jpg

You can see that underneath compatability for your active device, it shows your device, in my case SAMSUNG SM - A528B.  In the UK its better known as the A52s 5G.  The former is presumably the name it comes under on Celestrons list, which is why it isn't there and I was told by Celestron it wasn't on the list!

More importantly, it clearly shows the app is compatable with my device - whatever of the names it comes under.

It seems the answer as to if our phones are compatable with the app has, literally, been in our own hands all the time 😄.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess many who've never looked to customise the OS and aren't maybe on XDA have never paid attention to the phone's boot up screen where it'd show the Samsung designation for the device. Always useful to note this however when you want to confirm a specific accessory will work with your device - glass screen protectors and even cases. The device ID can also be found in the phone's settings, about screens as well as on the OEM box. So I guess Celestron used that as it would clearly ID the variant of the device they've tested as confirmed to work as there are likely a number of variants of a model like the A52, A13 etc and they may vary according to the market they were sold into.

At least you now know yours is, what's the exact device ID of your friend's A13? Is that also on the list?

4 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

I guess many who've never looked to customise the OS and aren't maybe on XDA have never paid attention to the phone's boot up screen where it'd show the Samsung designation for the device. Always useful to note this however when you want to confirm a specific accessory will work with your device - glass screen protectors and even cases. The device ID can also be found in the phone's settings, about screens as well as on the OEM box. So I guess Celestron used that as it would clearly ID the variant of the device they've tested as confirmed to work as there are likely a number of variants of a model like the A52, A13 etc and they may vary according to the market they were sold into.

At least you now know yours is, what's the exact device ID of your friend's A13? Is that also on the list?

Thanks Dave.  I phoned him to ask him to look, but he was not available so I don't know yet.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Timbo1001 said:

Anyone else had problems getting the phone to focus in the alignment? Just fuzzy! The advanced camera setting just seem to disable the camera altogether.

I had that problem last night…. Is there a fix?

My phone refuses to work at all with the Starsense app, despite being on the 'approved' list. Not sure if it focus or anything else. It has never plate solved, just keeps saying it is unable to locate it's position. Looking at the screen I cannot see any stars. Shame as it is the only reason I bought it. I certainly did not need an 80mm achro. Unfortunately, I modded the mount to work on a standard finder bracket so I can't even return it....

4 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

I seem to recall someone saying that they had a similar problem which turned out to be a finger/thumb print on the phone camera. When cleaned the problem was resolved.

I did think of that so I cleaned the already clean brand new mirror. Starsense seems to be locked in a close focus and not (presumably desired) infinity. The android camera app focusses just fine. Starsense refuses to budge. The advanced camera setting seems to just crash the camera and I get a blank white screen with the cross hairs. Frustrating.

On 27/08/2023 at 08:35, Clarkey said:

My phone refuses to work at all with the Starsense app, despite being on the 'approved' list. Not sure if it focus or anything else. It has never plate solved, just keeps saying it is unable to locate it's position. Looking at the screen I cannot see any stars. Shame as it is the only reason I bought it. I certainly did not need an 80mm achro. Unfortunately, I modded the mount to work on a standard finder bracket so I can't even return it....

Does it focus when doing the alignment? Celestion support suggested swapping to night mode on the cross hairs screen. It didn't work for me. Just crashed the camera to a blank white screen. May be if they spent more time on the app than logoing everything it would work better! Incidentally app works great on the wife's pixel 4. Mines a galaxy S40 which is supposedly tested and approved?

Edited by Timbo1001

My honor 20(my dedicated phone for skysafari, red cellophane stuck over the screen) is a bit hit and miss.  Gets a good image sometimes, other times it struggles.  Put the app on my pixel 6 but not tried it yet due to cloud.

Need to test the pixel 6 to see if it is better.  I'm waiting for the update that lets you use the Starsense with skysafari and I believe doing so consumes another code.

On 25/08/2023 at 13:30, Stu said:

I had that problem last night…. Is there a fix?

Not so far. I'll just have to borrow wife's pixel 4 because that does. I'm still onto Rod at Celestron support. I'll post if anything useful transpires but don't hold your breath!🤣😂😂 Makes you wonder if an update has messed stuff up. I'm using SS explorer 1.1.11.0

Edited by Timbo1001

3 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Works on my wife's old Pixel 4a5g but not on my Pixel 6.  

It works on my Pixel 6. Check that you have all the sensors turned on. Easily found on the pull down settings menu.

Thanks, Bosun.

However, I tried this and  all sorts of other things as I described either here and/or on Cloudy Nights a year or so ago.  Nothing worked.  Neither did anything that Celestron suggested in my correspondence with them.

This was using Android 12.  It may be that now the phone has updated to Android 13 the problem has been solved.

However, I have to keep this phone permanently on and charged due to a family illness.  So the Pixel 6 is dedicated to this and my wife's old Pixel 4a5g is dedicated to Starsense Explorer.

Thanks again for the suggestion though.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2023 at 08:35, Clarkey said:

Does it focus when doing the alignment? On my galaxy S40 it's fuzzy as hell. See my other comments for more.

Edited by Timbo1001

9 hours ago, Timbo1001 said:

Does it focus when doing the alignment?

Yes, but I normally align in daylight. I have tried aligning at night but quite often I cannot even see any stars. I have a Galaxy A32 for work - I'm going to try that.

Looking at all of the comments about the Starsense explorer app, it does seem hit and miss as to whether it actually works. I think Celestron are being a bit dishonest in their claims regarding compatibility. Yes, the software might work - but whether it can actually plate solve is another matter.

4 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Yes, but I normally align in daylight. I have tried aligning at night but quite often I cannot even see any stars. I have a Galaxy A32 for work - I'm going to try that.

Looking at all of the comments about the Starsense explorer app, it does seem hit and miss as to whether it actually works. I think Celestron are being a bit dishonest in their claims regarding compatibility. Yes, the software might work - but whether it can actually plate solve is another matter.

Clarkey.  Re not being able to see stars on the screen, have you tried maximising the size on the screen?

I ask, because when I first tried my phone out I couldn't see any stars on it either.  I only saw them when I zoomed in that they came into view.  

Also when aligning with the crosshairs at night time, make sure you use a bright star or planet, its much easier.

When you have it all set up Starsense will plate solve when there are surprisingly few stars visible.  It will plate solve on occassions when there are not enough stars visible to be able to use a use an optical finder.  This is because it takes time exposures to find it's location.

Edited by paulastro

5 hours ago, Clarkey said:

I sort of have the opposite problem. I can't really align in daylight on the galaxy S40 because of the focus problem. I haven't tried night because of the pesky clouds. The Pixel 4 works just fine. I did discover something - aligning in daylight, using advanced camera settings, seems to crash the camera. If I cover the mirror with my hand it reduces the light intensity and this tends not to happen. I'm not sure if that tells me anything useful but it's kinda interesting.🤣 I agree that Celestron are less than open about phone compatibility and on most retailers the compatibility link is well hidden in the text. All the YouTubers seem to have no problems. Make of that what you will.

Good luck with the A32.

1 minute ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Just to add my experience ... my Sony 1 iv worked fine but now i cant even use the camera with the app.. however my iphone has no problems and works . I think there may have been an android glitch caused by a security update . 

Yes I suspect something along those lines. Hopefully there's someone at Celestron typing code into the app. 

I tried the Starsense app with the A32 tonight and it worked flawlessly. However, during the alignment it would not focus on infinity. I had to go into the normal camera app and focus to infinity there, then when reopening Starsense it would focus for alignment. Seems a bit odd it does not automatically focus to infinity - but at least I know. I try the original Moto 50 and try the same trick to see if it works.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clarkey said:

I tried the Starsense app with the A32 tonight and it worked flawlessly. However, during the alignment it would not focus on infinity. I had to go into the normal camera app and focus to infinity there, then when reopening Starsense it would focus for alignment. Seems a bit odd it does not automatically focus to infinity - but at least I know. I try the original Moto 50 and try the same trick to see if it works.

I'll try that. Thanks

On 29/08/2023 at 23:07, Clarkey said:

I tried your trick by focussing the camera via the android app and another camera app too. Both focus just fine and the second app has the option to manually fix the focus. Unfortunately neither worked to affect the starsense app. I didn't hear anything back from my reply to Rod at Celestron so I have tried again today. I suspect that some update to android or starsense has chucked a spanner in the cogs maybe. Oh well, back to borrowing the pixel 4 off my commanding officers.......😂

I'm still waiting for Celestron to get back to me. I have found all the reviews on Playstore and they ain't pretty! It's clear Celestron is trying to keep the reviews hidden by designating the app as in development. However googling Starsense Explorer Playstore and then by opening in a new tab (press and hold) up comes access to all the reviews.

The scope was considerably more expensive than the same spec sans SSE and the cost of a clean used galaxy a40 has probably set me back £250 and I still need to get another phone which I hope will work. I have little faith in the compatibility list now. (Or the YouTube shills).

I have gone from hoping celestron will help me iron out the glitches to believing that Celestron cannot be trusted and border on the dishonest.

The dob 8 is very good and when the SSE app works on another phone it is a game changer. Shame about the other stuff.