Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO/Player One IMX 585 Sensor Image Showcase

Chris

Okay so I have given this some serious thought after reading what has been said, a couple of times over LOL! I will be saving for the 2600 after all!   So I'll have the 585 and 2600. I believe that will make a nice combo of cameras for the scopes I have. For time being the 585 will still give me what I need to hone my skills on Lunar, planetary, DSO EAA and processing once clear skies bless us again!

Thank you all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Colour Lunar shot with the QHY5-iii-585c :

2023-05-01-2202_1-SJG-L-Jup_pipp_lapl5_ap579reanalyif.png.36c9c0717341699ecc2793248360d2e6.thumb.png.2669eee9b9b83d81605f0adc698ea856.png

Impressive lack of atmospheric wobble. Did you use an IR pass filter? I find that's the only way to reduce the wobbling craters.

2 hours ago, PeterC65 said:

Impressive lack of atmospheric wobble. Did you use an IR pass filter? I find that's the only way to reduce the wobbling craters.

Just a IR/UV cut filter. I only stacked 15% of frames. Hoping to get a full Lunar mosaic at f15 in colour which is one of the main reasons I got the 585 chip.

• Like 1

Brought the ZWO version a week ago to replace my old Altair 385c. Seems like a decent upgrade on the old 385, only had limited time to use on the moon so far but should make a good EAA chip. Here is a quick roi image i took the other night with the 585 with a uv/ir cut filter on my C925 of Aristarchus and Schroters valley.

23_18_56_lapl4_ap504.png.ddb75b438a8b9c0a9120263d39f71714.png

• Like 2

Nice photo of Venus, Stuart. 
I have also found that ‘edge rind’ when imaging planets, especially Mars. Does anyone know how to prevent it? Any tips or tricks would be most welcome. 

23_23_04_pipp_lapl5_ap16_conv RS.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 04/05/2023 at 10:50, PeterC65 said:

Folks I am debating to buy either Player One offering vs. ZWO 585 version. I read through the posts on this forum , but I still not get if there is a clear recommendation for one or the other.

Can you help me make the decision? I have ZWO224MC currently and sometimes use ZWO software, but mainly I use Sharpcap and do EAA.

It's down to your personal preference, I use a 485mc which is practically the same as the 585 but doesn't have the no amp glow feature. I use it for deep sky most of the time. By choice however I'm tied into the zwo eco system.

1 hour ago, Elp said:

It's down to your personal preference, I use a 485mc which is practically the same as the 585 but doesn't have the no amp glow feature. I use it for deep sky most of the time. By choice however I'm tied into the zwo eco system.

Thanks , will the passive cooling present on player 1, will make it better dso imager compared to zwo 585?

I have the Uranus-C, the Player One IMX585 camera. I think this sensor is great for EAA and I have no regrets about buying it. It has no amp glow, low read noise, images at 4K resolution, has a large enough sensor to capture largeish and smallish targets (when used with the appropriate scopes), and has a good pixel size (not too big, not too small). IMX533 based cameras are a good alternative but they cost more and the aspect ratio of the image is square which I don't think makes sense when you are displaying on a rectangular monitor (I use a 4K monitor so I am seeing the native camera resolution).

Whether to buy the ZWO or Player One version is difficult to answer. I think either would be fine. Buying the ZWO version will allow you to use their ecosystem. The Player One version is hexagonal which aids alignment (I find this useful), has a built in tilt plate (which I have never used), and has a slightly lower LCG to HCG switching point. This last item was why I bought the Player One version but I almost always use the camera at well above the switching point so it is probably not relevant. If I was buying again I might just get the ZWO version as it costs less and would allow me to use the ZWO ecosystem (I am very happy with SharpCap).

If you do buy the Player One version I can report that their support is good and I would recommend buying direct from them in China as the price is better than from their (Canada based) UK distributor.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jazzlikemagician said:

Thanks , will the passive cooling present on player 1, will make it better dso imager compared to zwo 585?

The passive cooling will keep the sensor in the Player One camera about 5degC cooler than in the ZWO version, but cooling is not needed for EAA so I don't think this is a particular advantage.

23 minutes ago, PeterC65 said:

The passive cooling will keep the sensor in the Player One camera about 5degC cooler than in the ZWO version, but cooling is not needed for EAA so I don't think this is a particular advantage.

Thank you so much for sharing your insights. Very informative and helpful.

I think I will go with ZWO then since I sometimes use ZWO software also.

After have used my Hypercam 26c on the night sky it was time to turn to the daytime and being sunny out I got out my trusty 585 camera out and my old ETX 90 to capture some solar images.  I thought I would share. Been awhile since I have used Autostakkert and Registax!

11_40_51_lapl5_ap803.jpeg

11_15_00_lapl5_ap1207.jpeg

11_37_48_lapl5_ap2467.jpeg

Edited by JonHigh
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, JonHigh said:

After have used my Hypercam 26c on the night sky it was time to turn to the daytime and being sunny out I got out my trusty 585 camera out and my old ETX 90 to capture some solar images.  I thought I would share. Been awhile since I have used Autostakkert and Registax!

I'm impressed! I've been overlooking the Sun as an object to observe but your results have caused me to think again, perhaps using my IMX585 camera with my Skymax 127 (and some solar film of course).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PeterC65 said:

I'm impressed! I've been overlooking the Sun as an object to observe but your results have caused me to think again, perhaps using my IMX585 camera with my Skymax 127 (and some solar film of course).

It is awesome. I have a Baader 1.25” solar continuum filter that fits in the T2>1.25” adapter with a nose piece extension as I like filters to be as close to the sensor as possible. Baader seem to be one of a very few with threads on both sides. Unfortunately I can’t afford / warrant a ‘proper’ HA solar scope so this is next best thing! Lots of fun though!!

IMG_0850.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still new to imaging, but impressed with the ZWO ASI585 and my first decent image. Might have pushed the data a bit hard as it's a little blue in the bottom right corner.

38 subs of 120 seconds, gain 252, stacked in ASTAP and stretched in GIMP. Then a bit of sharpening and saturation.

M312023-09-1538x120LEQModMount(CV)ZWOASI585MC_stacked.thumb.jpg.d3d6cdb637c3577f1611d787cfddfecc.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the risingcam variant with cooling, PlayerOne has also released a cooled IMX585.

Here is the official page for the Uranus-C Pro: https://player-one-astronomy.com/product/uranus-c-pro-usb3-0-color-camera-imx585/

I'm looking into getting a cooled camera, and this looks like a great starting point for me and likely many others.

Edited by Astrohankster

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, quick question: when I bought the Uranus-C 585 about a year ago the HCG switch point was 180 (confirmed by sensor analysis in Sharpcap) but now I see they have changed the specs on this camera to make the HCG 210. My question is: can I update the driver to change the HCG to the new value? (The latest camera driver was released about a month ago.)

While I'm here I may as well share my latest image: This is the raw Sharpcap livestack image of the Lagoon nebula in Sagittarius made up of only 48 x 1 minute subs (gain was 250 in Bortal 2.5 skies) on an 6" F5 Newtonian (no post processing, slight crop in from the edges): Stack_48frames_2880s_WithDisplayStretch.thumb.png.dbaafbdb91f3707537a6e6f13387ec60.png

Edited by MichaelBibby
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Does anyone have info about the current  state(October-2023) of UK suppliers for the Player One cameras?

The only one seems to be darkclearskies dot com dot uk. Prices are about £100 more if comparing with the prices of player-one-astronomy dot com

For people who has bought directly from player-one-astronomy dot com, how was the experience? taxes?

Thanks

1 hour ago, yopero said:

Hi.

Does anyone have info about the current  state(October-2023) of UK suppliers for the Player One cameras?

The only one seems to be darkclearskies dot com dot uk. Prices are about £100 more if comparing with the prices of player-one-astronomy dot com

For people who has bought directly from player-one-astronomy dot com, how was the experience? taxes?

Thanks

When I bought my Uranus-C camera just over a year ago, the UK distributor for Player One was Starfield Optics, based in Canada but selling in GBP. I see they are no longer operating and the Player One UK dealers are now Dark Clear Skies and Pro Astronomy. I've had no dealings with either of these companies but they are both selling the Uranus-C for £400 which I think is a good price, just slightly more than the ASI585 from FLO at £382 (when I bought it, the Uranus-C was quite a bit more expensive than the ASI585).

I had a problem with my first Uranus-C camera but Player One dealt with it very efficiently and sent a replacement, so I would have no issue buying directly from them. The Uranus-C camera bought directly from Player One is $399, currently £328. You should pay VAT on this taking it to £393. You might get away with not paying the VAT, but that's a gamble, and if you are asked to pay there could be a fee for processing it, and there will be currency conversion fees to pay.

So if it were me, I would buy from one of the UK distributors.