Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evoguide 50ED with ZWO EAF

Good morning all,

Whilst waiting for the confounded clouds to move along I got to thinking 🤔.

My rig presently consists of a Skywatcher 72ED on a heq5 pro goto mount with a evoguide 50ED guide scope and ZWO533MC camera all run through an ZWO asiair.

I've read a few articles about the Eviguide making a reasonable wide field sope and thought I may give it a try  This got me to wondering if anyone has ever attached a ZWO EAF to the evoguide and if so, how?

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of you wise folks out there.

Thanks in advance 

Simon

• 3 months later...

On the focuser are two 200mm GT2 belts each 10mm wide. I used some 80mm x 9mm rubber bands to hold the belts in place on the focuser.

Then driving the focuser is a 300mm GT2 6mm wide belt, and a 20 teeth GT2 pulley with 5mm bore hole.

Took me a few attempts to get the right belt sizes and spacing from the EAF, but have used several times and works well.

All purchased on Amazon and eBay. Let me know if you need anymore details.

Edited by astrotad
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 10/11/2022 at 16:24, astrotad said:

On the focuser are two 200mm GT2 belts each 10mm wide. I used some 80mm x 9mm rubber bands to hold the belts in place on the focuser.

Then driving the focuser is a 300mm GT2 6mm wide belt, and a 20 teeth GT2 pulley with 5mm bore hole.

Took me a few attempts to get the right belt sizes and spacing from the EAF, but have used several times and works well.

All purchased on Amazon and eBay. Let me know if you need anymore details.

What Step size do you use? i got a set up for mine but it wont autofocus because it barely moves. there is so much play in the focuser.

• 3 months later...
On 08/11/2022 at 23:46, astrotad said:

More photos of the setup. The Evoguide is great as a wide field setup

Hi, I have done pretty much the same setup, but I have a slight problem. The evoguide has a focus lock screw, which you need to have unscrewed for the auto focus routine to work. However I have found that this leaves a slight wobble on the focuser that results in tilt. So, after the auto focus I need to tighten the screw  which does not allow me to refocus during the night.

Have you had this problem?

• 5 months later...

Not sure if it's too late but I've designed and made this setup for the evoguide and eaf. It works the treats and if you use the overshoot method for rodeo focus, the backlash isn't even noticeable. To the point where I don't even know if I have any, v it just works. The photograph looks a little bit ruby as it was the prototype unit. The actual sale units are much tidier! 

PXL_20240205_210653375~3.jpg

PXL_20240205_211449870~2.jpg

Edited by Rustyshackleton