Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier Location

Hi all,

Might need to put this in the obs area, but thought I would try in general help first.  So I still have a lenght of cooling duct 8" from when I was going to do a pier many years ago before i had to stop, and have decided to have a go at getting it sorted this year with my lighter gear.  My issue is that to get the best sky area for East to west via south, with a reasonable section of north, it would be in an area where a street light would be hitting it, its at the back of the garden, so could possibly get a small obs done in the future, even if its just to cover it permanently.  My wife would be happier with it in that location as well.  The street light is one of the newish white light and it does get dimmed around 12 by 50%.

The area I tend to setup  in doesn't give as much to the east or west, I lose around 25% due to the house, bushes, trees etc, but still good for south and gain a little more for the north, with no street light hitting.

I know i need to try it, but thought i would ask the question anyway, to see what others would think.

Thanks for any responses,

G

During the winter months when it's dark from early evening, it will be a long wait for that streetlight to dim so I think I would go for the darkest location and then try and find some way of making it aesthetically pleasing for the lady wife so it becomes acceptable.

At our last house, I created a concrete pier and then made it such that when the mount was removed, I could put a base with a sundial on top which made it wholly acceptable to SWMBO. All the best.

• Like 1

Without knowing the distance to the street light, it is difficult to asses the impact.
Two suggestions that may mitigate it's effect.

Is it located such that a shield to shade your garden could be fitted.
There are quiet a few thrads where this (often with success) is discussed.

Is it possible to fit a temporary screen in the garden?
Again these have been discussed on SGL. Based around poles and sheets.

Going back to the pier material. Is it galvanised steel spiral form duct?
If so, you will need to fill it to prevent ringing and improve rigidity.
Apologies if you have already thought about this.
My pier is made in this way. Fitted and concrete filled at the same time as the foundation.
So I have a lump of concrete 1M into the ground and the same above.
When someone else comes to live here, they will have a serious task to remove the pier🤣.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  I had my wife out yesterday pointing out what the issues are, and she asked if i could use the garden parasol which can be angled.  Gave it a try last night and it is perfect for blocking the street light, so it looks like we will both win for once.

It is the spiral galvanised steel type, so yes, it ill be filled, just working on the top section.  Looked at the break disc work that some have done as i have some old ones in the garage, but think they may be a little big, something else i need to plan.  Thnks again guys.

If you look at someone like 'eurocarparts.com' and hunt around brake discs, they show diameter (and more) in the fitment detail.
A lot are around the 10" or 254mm region, which is not a big overhand for your pier.
Are you on good terms with a local repair garage? These people are regularly fitting new discs and would I'm sure exchange discs for beer😏.
I have some old discs this sort of size in the garage but it would probably cost a tenner to send one to you.
Having said that. Have you seen how cheap some discs are to buy new? Especially if the seller is having a '25% off' weekend.

An alternative is to visit a local company who do fabrication. A lump of steel say 200mm to 250mm square-ish offcut may be only scrap value to them.
This does potentially need more work from you to nmake it usable. But looks better than a rusty old brake disc.

HTH, David.

13 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

If you look at someone like 'eurocarparts.com' and hunt around brake discs, they show diameter (and more) in the fitment detail.
A lot are around the 10" or 254mm region, which is not a big overhand for your pier.
Are you on good terms with a local repair garage? These people are regularly fitting new discs and would I'm sure exchange discs for beer😏.
I have some old discs this sort of size in the garage but it would probably cost a tenner to send one to you.
Having said that. Have you seen how cheap some discs are to buy new? Especially if the seller is having a '25% off' weekend.

An alternative is to visit a local company who do fabrication. A lump of steel say 200mm to 250mm square-ish offcut may be only scrap value to them.
This does potentially need more work from you to nmake it usable. But looks better than a rusty old brake disc.

HTH, David.

Yes to euro car parts, I will take a look and ask at the garage i use.  The ones i have are 380mm vented, so will over hang by inches, so don't think they would be the best.

Thanks for the responses.