Narrowband

Should I buy a Skywatcher 250PDS with EQ6-R Mount

Hello All, 

Am new to the group, so apologies if these questions have already been answered a million times.

Am looking to purchase a 250PDS on a EQ6-R mount for just shy of 2k, wanting to get into Astro-Photography and of course just general viewing.

1. wondering whether is worth the money above say a 200PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount which have seen for £1500.

Your thoughts would be greatly received.

• Like 1

I would probably go with the 200PDS on the EQ6 if deep sky astrophotography was the goal. I image with a 200mm newtonian and an AZ-EQ6 which is in the same kind of weight class as the EQ6 and i dont think i could get away with a 250 even if its in the payload range of the mount. Maybe if the scope was in an observatory shielded from wind it would be ok, but if not you will have plenty of scope to deal with in the 200PDS.

Consider the focal lenght, and field-of-view. I've been doing AP with a 200PDS/HEQ5 and a DSLR for 1 year. It's not been many times I wanted a longer scope, rather the opposite. Depends on your camera gear and what you want to image. My next addition to my collection will most likely be a 6" f/4, thats 600mm focal lenght.

And the weight of the 250PDS/EQ6-R is formidable. Not something I would like to set up each night. Doesn't matter if you have an observatory, though.