Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leica T Typ 701 for astrophotography?

JokubasJar

Found this camera in my summer house, my parents bought it some time ago but they never use it, they said I can do whatever I want with it. Is this camera good for astrophotography? The sensor look pretty ok to me.

• Like 1

First problem will be to find an adapter to connect it to a telescope. I read on reviews that the shutter will not fire unless a lens or suitable adapter is attached, so it may not be suitable for AP at all. Someone may know of a way around that though.

Edited by wulfrun
typo

3 hours ago, JokubasJar said:

Found this camera in my summer house,

For a start it's LEICA 🙂 🙂 🙂  What more can I say! Similar to having a Questar 7" Mak over an Asian made one!

You can probably find an adapter from Ebay.de, or at worst from a camera shop or Leica directly (expensive).

14 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

For a start it's LEICA 🙂 🙂 🙂  What more can I say! Similar to having a Questar 7" Mak over an Asian made one!

You can probably find an adapter from Ebay.de, or at worst from a camera shop or Leica directly (expensive).

The adapter isn't just a physical adapter though. Apparently it reads a code (optically?) off the attached lens and reports it (electronically) to the body. Without this the shutter cannot be fired. This may (or may not) be a deal-breaker but OP needs to be sure else it's money wasted.

EDIT: you can read the part about the M-mount adapter here:

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-t-typ701/4

Edited by wulfrun

12 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

This may (or may not) be a deal-breaker but OP needs to be sure else it's money wasted.

There will be a way around the shutter problem due to the many attachments available for Leica. Cheap connecter link below!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125444572091?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110018%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.COMPLISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc

He can always contact the Leica Company for a solution! Not as if it is akin to attempting to get some answers from the Celestron (non existent) Customer support service 😞 

Edited by SthBohemia