Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

August 2, 2022: First results of dual imaging rig on NGC7000

Set up the dual Samyang 135 F/2 rig yesterday. Managed to get 70 minutes of H-alpha with the ASI183MM-Pro and 60 minutes with the colour camera using an L-Enhance filter. The H-alpha data came out relly nicely. Astro Pixel Processor created this version:

NGC7000-Hydrogen-alpha-session_1-St.thumb.jpg.652c79e1a466e8ebd4c412214e8f30a6.jpg

Which is perhaps a little harshly stretched. I tried a subtler stretch to arrive at this:

NGC7000-Hydrogen-alpha-session_1.thumb.jpg.2f82e2f25340682230f5b82515289340.jpg

Adding colour husing H-a as luminance and the RGB as RGB, I got this:

NGC7000-RGB-tool-image-St.thumb.jpg.8a7bc803ca700c73dc215b09ae3a0231.jpg

Not perfect, as the RGB camera still needs a few spacers to get the sensor distance right, and the alignment of the two cameras in terms of rotation was off, but I am happy with this first result

• Like 5

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Set up the dual Samyang 135 F/2 rig yesterday. Managed to get 70 minutes of H-alpha with the ASI183MM-Pro and 60 minutes with the colour camera using an L-Enhance filter. The H-alpha data came out relly nicely. Astro Pixel Processor created this version:

NGC7000-Hydrogen-alpha-session_1-St.thumb.jpg.652c79e1a466e8ebd4c412214e8f30a6.jpg

Which is perhaps a little harshly stretched. I tried a subtler stretch to arrive at this:

NGC7000-Hydrogen-alpha-session_1.thumb.jpg.2f82e2f25340682230f5b82515289340.jpg

Adding colour husing H-a as luminance and the RGB as RGB, I got this:

NGC7000-RGB-tool-image-St.thumb.jpg.8a7bc803ca700c73dc215b09ae3a0231.jpg

Not perfect, as the RGB camera still needs a few spacers to get the sensor distance right, and the alignment of the two cameras in terms of rotation was off, but I am happy with this first result

We discussed before how well the two cameras would align without the ability to adjust one FOV, you had them both in fixed mountings at the time. Can you comment further now you have tested?

Seems like it all went well, I would be tempted to increase saturation though. 

Adam 

• Like 1

I love the first two but would never use Ha as lum. It turns everything pink and produces bright blue stars, often with halos. I'd try adding the Ha to red in blend mode lighten or blend mode screen, myself.

Have you tried StarXterminator? I think it would be excellent on ths type of image. You de-star a partial stretch, stretch it harder, then replace the less stretched stars in Lighten or Screen mode again. This has transformed our RASA imaging.

Olly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

We discussed before how well the two cameras would align without the ability to adjust one FOV, you had them both in fixed mountings at the time. Can you comment further now you have tested?

Seems like it all went well, I would be tempted to increase saturation though. 

Adam 

I only have rotation as degree of freedom, it seems to be enough 

12 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I love the first two but would never use Ha as lum. It turns everything pink and produces bright blue stars, often with halos. I'd try adding the Ha to red in blend mode lighten or blend mode screen, myself.

Have you tried StarXterminator? I think it would be excellent on ths type of image. You de-star a partial stretch, stretch it harder, then replace the less stretched stars in Lighten or Screen mode again. This has transformed our RASA imaging.

Olly

I only used H-alpha as lum because the stars in the RGB data were lousy in the corners (will add a couple of spacers). I am still working on my own star exterminator code.

I will add more RGB data with L filter, and more H-alpha and O-III, and see where this gets me. 

• Like 1