SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

This is not an eyepiece case, this is an intervention!

Ags

I built a pretty wooden eyepiece case with slots for 12 eyepieces, and ever since then I have been thrashing about like a fish on a hook trying to fill it. Last night I snapped and bought some foam for the old eyepiece case and filled it with the eyepieces I really use.  There is no more room in the new case. I am DONE with buying eyepieces! (But see below).

eyepiece_case_three.thumb.jpg.814b18796b3f62b0d9cec7374926093d.jpg

These eyepieces are for use with f6 telescopes - a Zenithstar 66, a C6 (with reducer), and possibly a Megrez 88 / Long Perng 90 down the line. I have severe light pollution to deal with, so my widefield is the Explore Scientific 20mm / 68° giving a moderate 3mm exit pupil. The Speers WALER 13.4 mm / 82° provides low-medium magnification and a 2mm exit pupil, and the Explore Scientific 6.7mm / 82° provides high-medium magnification. The Speers WALER 4.9mm / 82° provides high magnification (~0.8mm exit pupil) and also ultra-high magnification when I screw in its extension tube, turning it into a 3.1mm / 82° eyepiece (~0.5mm exit pupil).

Two solar eyepieces are stored vertically - an NPL 30mm plossl and (when I find one) a SLV 25mm. For now an SLV 6mm is keeping the space warm. There is room under the filter box for another SLV... maybe the 20mm. No! No! I must resist!

The Speers WALERS seem to give the best corrected and easiest views, but I love the ergonomics of the more compact ES eyepieces.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 9

34 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

You're fixing on fitting twelve eyepieces in there? 

No, the wooden case looked like this:

20220512_130856.thumb.jpg.71e0c5c0dd01f1dbeaa8ea1658872de6.jpg

The eyepiece case I am using now was my 2011 case, which has until recently been a junk box. In the old days it contained these:

good_old_days.jpg.8b748d97a9cbe2c5518c50627ee9cb71.jpg

• Like 3

My back to basics eyepiece case works out well in the field. It's easier to select the right eyepiece in the dark, and easier to keep track of the lens caps.

I am not entirely free of eyepiece acquisition syndrome. I still have a nagging thought that the Speers WALER 13.4 might be better replaced by an ES11 and Nirvana 16, or that could squeeze in a couple more SLVs. But I am hopeful for a full recovery!

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ags said:

I am hopeful for a full recovery!

Sounds like you made it as far as Step 4 - making a searching and fearless inventory of your eyepiece collection. Only another 8 steps to go! 

Edited by badhex
  • Haha 1