SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Here's how M31 would look if it were brighter

StuartT

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Very nice but do wonder if M31 is actually much bigger still and even touches our Milky way at its extremes.

Alan

The outer halo of M31 and milky way is thought to be already colliding: https://earthsky.org/space/earths-night-sky-milky-way-andromeda-merge/

Andromeda's halo extends to at least 1.3 million light years, so more than half the distance between us. If that is also the case with our milky way which appears similar in size to M31, then we are basically already in a (very) slow-mo collision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the most memorable sights from the Skellig Star Party in the Bortle 1-2 skies of tip of the Iveragh peninsula was M31 naked eye.

There was a light shower, and I put my 15" to bed (note to self - bring a tarp next time), and cracked a few cans while chatting with some other guys there.  Then the skies cleared again around 4am, and WOW!!  Andromeda naked eye was HUGE - with averted vision.  Truly spectacular to see it like that.  I can detect it from my back garden but this was truly amazing 🙂

You really don't need a scope down there to thoroughly enjoy the skies in late August!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, niallk said:

One of the most memorable sights from the Skellig Star Party in the Bortle 1-2 skies of tip of the Iveragh peninsula was M31 naked eye.

There was a light shower, and I put my 15" to bed (note to self - bring a tarp next time), and cracked a few cans while chatting with some other guys there.  Then the skies cleared again around 4am, and WOW!!  Andromeda naked eye was HUGE - with averted vision.  Truly spectacular to see it like that.  I can detect it from my back garden but this was truly amazing 🙂

You really don't need a scope down there to thoroughly enjoy the skies in late August!

I had the same experience at Kielder. Truly amazing and through binoculars, sock blowing! The oval smudge was as big in the sky as the op's image. I'd recommend an Autumn Kielder campsite visit to anyone. The facilities are clean, but the site remote, so don't forget anything and wear long trousers!

I'm considering a visit again this late September or early October, but to be honest the current petrol prices are putting me off the long trip.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2