SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars, Jupiter and Saturn from 1.8

ONIKKINEN

My best images of the 3 planets so far:

Mars-Jupiter-Saturn2.png.7eaf7214a77d255eaf9328d898fa6ed4.png

Shot with 8'' F4.4 newtonian at around F13 and a Rising Cam IMX571 OSC camera in 8-bit mode, not quite critical sampling with 3.76 micron pixels. Could have used a bit more barlow for Jupiter and maybe Mars, but Saturn probably not so much since its quite soft. My current contraption is a 2.5x barlow with a dubiously long 1.25'' extension tube, which is probably not stable enough with the big cooled astrocam at the end. Should probably get a 3x one and maybe stick an ADC somewhere in there but quite happy of these 3 for now.

Seeing was quite nice with Mars at 20 degrees, Jupiter at 25 and Saturn at 14 at the time of capture. The extra 11 degrees of altitude really shows between the image of Jupiter and Saturn here. Mars was stacked with the best 2% from 120k frames, Jupiter was best 10% from 12k and Saturn was best 10% from 23k frames.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

My best images of the 3 planets so far:

Mars-Jupiter-Saturn2.png.7eaf7214a77d255eaf9328d898fa6ed4.png

Shot with 8'' F4.4 newtonian at around F13 and a Rising Cam IMX571 OSC camera in 8-bit mode, not quite critical sampling with 3.76 micron pixels. Could have used a bit more barlow for Jupiter and maybe Mars, but Saturn probably not so much since its quite soft. My current contraption is a 2.5x barlow with a dubiously long 1.25'' extension tube, which is probably not stable enough with the big cooled astrocam at the end. Should probably get a 3x one and maybe stick an ADC somewhere in there but quite happy of these 3 for now.

Seeing was quite nice with Mars at 20 degrees, Jupiter at 25 and Saturn at 14 at the time of capture. The extra 11 degrees of altitude really shows between the image of Jupiter and Saturn here. Mars was stacked with the best 2% from 120k frames, Jupiter was best 10% from 12k and Saturn was best 10% from 23k frames.

Nice captures Jupiter showing quite a bit of detail

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Nice captures Jupiter showing quite a bit of detail

Thanks Neil, yes that one i am quite satisfied with. The PV 1/10 OOUK mirror must be doing something right when skies allow.

Mars-Jupiter-Saturn4.png.11961f8cf5bdda541d9d000e1225569c.png

Took my eyes off the image for a few minutes and upon looking back noticed it was a tad unbalanced. Took another look and slightly rebalanced the colours out of the reddish hue it was in. Small difference but looks more natural now.

4 hours ago, Kon said:

Nice captures. I like your Mars it shows some nice details.

Mars was a surprise, all 31 pixels of diameter of it! Represents what i saw through an eyepiece and Mars filter at 321x very accurately.