SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

William Optics GT81 scopes - what has changed?

I have been looking at the range of WO GT81 scopes that have been made since around 2014-15 and I am utterly confused about what has changed. As far as I can see the old edition was a triplet, had a camera rotator. In the middle the GT81s did not have a rotator, but with GT81 - iv this feature seems to have been brought back. The carry handle has changed a bit but I am looking at whats changed in the optics?

And to confuse matters there was one version which was a doublet ! The spec of the glass seems to be pretty much the same. Am I missing something?

Edited by AstroMuni

• AstroMuni changed the title to William Optics GT81 scopes - what has changed?
On 01/08/2022 at 16:40, AstroMuni said:

I have been looking at the range of WO GT81 scopes that have been made since around 2014-15 and I am utterly confused about what has changed. As far as I can see the old edition was a triplet, had a camera rotator. In the middle the GT81s did not have a rotator, but with GT81 - iv this feature seems to have been brought back. The carry handle has changed a bit but I am looking at whats changed in the optics?

And to confuse matters there was one version which was a doublet ! The spec of the glass seems to be pretty much the same. Am I missing something?

Yes welcome to the carousel of specification changes that is William Optics. Every year something new to the point that you cant even keep track of it. On the other hand you have skywatcher who will sell you the same scope in 2022 as they did in 2012. 

For me this is actually annoying and a reason to avoid them. 

Adam 

16 hours ago, Adam J said:

Every year something new to the point that you cant even keep track of it.

But is there a genuine change or just a name rebadging? It appears that optics wise nothing has changed (atleast no mention in any specs) and its just cosmetic changes. So pretty hard to figure out if its worth buying the latest version or just get one of the older ones!

I assume WO subcontract manufacturing to a range of suppliers. They change their line up faster than I change my pants, part design refinement, part supplier I guess.

I bought one of their HD extended wide flange Vixen mount rails recently, only to find that the vixen dovetail clamps shown in the 'typical installation' are no longer available. 

2 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

But is there a genuine change or just a name rebadging? It appears that optics wise nothing has changed (atleast no mention in any specs) and its just cosmetic changes. So pretty hard to figure out if its worth buying the latest version or just get one of the older ones!

Optically I doubt much has changed, but what you do want is the ability to run a fully threaded system for imaging and that will depend on what focuser is fitted. 

Adam