Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt to sketch...

MylesGibson

I've never been much good at drawing or sketching anything. I'd probably struggle with stickmen! But during these shorter nights, I've had less time for imaging so decided I'd have a go at sketching. 

Hopefully it's not too bad, I'll try again another time and with any luck I'll start getting better!

20220730_005339.jpg

20220730_005359.jpg

• Like 21

On 30/07/2022 at 21:16, Franklin said:

I like the layout of your observing log book. When I try and sketch I use white pencil on black paper but not been out in a while, damn weather!

I was going to look for a black paper one, but this came up super cheap so went with it just so I could give it a go!

On 30/07/2022 at 21:22, globular said:

Excellent :thumbright:

Never seen a shadow transit on M13 before.... ho ho ho.... I'll get my coat.... 

Haha, that gave me a chuckle!

20 hours ago, domstar said:

Very nice indeed. I keep meaning to give it a try. This is a big push in that direction for me. 

Definitely give it a go, was definitely something different for sure

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PrairieStarGazer said:

Nice! Sketching brings out things images just cannot.

Well..... It probably does once you get good at at! I need to keep practising. It's good for showing people what you can realistically see in an eyepiece!

I like sketches and yours are excellent. Remind me of turn left at Orion which is useful to demonstrate what can be seen. Curious to learn how you do that are you back and to from the eyepiece or are you one eye on and one eye off. 
myhanks. 

• Like 1

Nice one @MylesGibson. A couple of times recently sketching at the eyepiece (though i hesitate to call my efforts sketching) has "gotten me out of trouble" the next day in the sense that for some reason my brain can turn to mush in the middle of the night and i make mistakes in my records - having the sketch the next day can really help to check and validate and/or correct the night time notes and/or prompt me to want to go back to something on another night to see what my "sketch" indicates i had blatantly missed to see on a first attempt.

Cheers

Joe

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ED Splitter said:

I like sketches and yours are excellent. Remind me of turn left at Orion which is useful to demonstrate what can be seen. Curious to learn how you do that are you back and to from the eyepiece or are you one eye on and one eye off. 
myhanks. 

I didn't even consider having one eye on the eyepiece and the other off. I don't think my sketching skills are quite there yet! I was looking through the eyepiece for approx 30 seconds, drawing one or 2 stars, back for another 30ish seconds and so on and so forth

6 hours ago, josefk said:

Nice one @MylesGibson. A couple of times recently sketching at the eyepiece (though i hesitate to call my efforts sketching) has "gotten me out of trouble" the next day in the sense that for some reason my brain can turn to mush in the middle of the night and i make mistakes in my records - having the sketch the next day can really help to check and validate and/or correct the night time notes and/or prompt me to want to go back to something on another night to see what my "sketch" indicates i had blatantly missed to see on a first attempt.

Cheers

Joe

Yeah, I will like to go back to these from a dark sky site as these were in my garden. Then I could really see the difference!

2 hours ago, ED Splitter said:

Well they are excellent, so keep sharing. Might have a go myself later, extra dimension to the past time. Thanks for the inspiration. 

You're welcome. I'll be keeping it up and trying to get better!