Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi everyone,

I'm stacking my first image taken with my astro modded camera and its not stacking well.

I did a quick stack with 22 lights and got a really good result.

I've now tried with all 160 lights, 67 darks, 44 biases and 52 flats as well.

The screen shot below shows the result, the lower half of the image seems alright but the top half is out, as can be seen in the top left when I hover over one star.

I've done it twice now, once with a 2% threshold which was about 10,000+ stars and a second time with a threshold of about 50% which gave approx 500 stars but the result was the same.

Does anyone know what might be going on?

Cheers,

Jeff

image.thumb.png.f73c8f256bc36371caa8ada117acb6e5.png

I have got Siril but really don't get on with it.

I have just tried stacking only the lights frames and that has worked.

The individual frames are alright, I have always had problems with flats both taking them and stacking them I'm not sure what is wrong with my technique but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem again.

2 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Me either, completely not intuitive.

Stacked lights look perfect 🤔

Stumped at the minute, sorry.

😂 Thanks anyway, I might try a stack with no flats in it and see. I'm just pleased that I'm finally able to capture the red so much better, big step forward 😀

Cheers,

Jeff

36 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Have a look here at the 2 minute 14 sec section. 

About darks with a DSLR. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz7ryk4qDrg

shot in the dark 😉

Mm, interesting, thankyou for that, out of interest heres my edited result, lights only nothing else, I'm happier than a dog with two tails as it's my first modded camera image....

image.thumb.png.08b55873090dfae0ae86efbd964a72b3.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Looking good!

Thankyou

18 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

you don't mention what camera if a canon DSLR you're probably better off without darks. 

It is a Canon 600d, is that a general rule or specific to certain types of Astro I wonder?

Don't worry about using darks with a 600D they don't improve the image any. (Use the time to take more lights) 

To do flats I just put a t-shirt over a white phone screen and place on the lens/scope, with the dial on AV then fire off around 30 of them, very quick and doesn't take long. 

Do the bias but put cap on lens and cover the camera so no light gets in and fire off 30 in manual mode and quickest exposure, think 1/4000.

This is what I used to do with my unmodded 600d.

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee