Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Evostar 80ED focuser upgrade

15 minutes ago, OK Apricot said:

Hi all, 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_ts-2-5-inch-rack-and-pinion-focuser-m117_298823.html#faq

Anyone know if this is a fit for the above scope? Looking to replace the standard dual speed focuser. 

Cheers! 

I'm not sure the flange will fit the 80ED DS Pro.

8AbYvM5l.jpg

This and this will though. They are both manufactured by Long Perng. I'd check that there are holes for the finder shoe on the 'Astro Essentials' version though. Some of the earlier versions of this focuser had no provision for a mounting shoe. 

Thank you. It seems I'd need to get the FR adaptor for either of these. Funnily enough though the finder base is the main reason for upgrading so I will double check with FLO. The casting on my standard one is so far off that I run out of adjustment on the finder, and they're still not aligned! 

18 hours ago, OK Apricot said:

The casting on my standard one is so far off that I run out of adjustment on the finder, and they're still not aligned! 

Could you post a photo of the misaligned finder mount base? I would have thought you could do something to realign the base without replacing the whole focuser. 

The base is cast into the rest of the focuser so there's no adjustment there. I'd tried it with the finder bracket from my 200P which gave the same result. It seems once you tighten the locking screw, the base of the finder bracket has more room to move into toward the front which is what's making it lopsided. It's an excuse to upgrade the focuser anyway as it'll have an ASI533 sticking out of it soon 😄

I have the 100ED. I think what makes it worse is the tightening screw pushes it off square. Mine isn’t as bad as yours. Could you use a thin plastic shim? Not ideal I know and maybe there are limits to what you can do with yoghurt pot shavings. 
If you do swap out your focuser can you post an update. It’s something I’m looking at doing but would prefer something shiny made with glass to go on the Christmas list.

Thinking about it I see no reason why I couldn't drill and tap a small thread on the opposite side and put a matching thumbscrew there to counter it 🤔. Yep, I'll be sure to come back here so you can take look 👍

Edited by OK Apricot

On 30/07/2022 at 17:19, OK Apricot said:

Thank you. It seems I'd need to get the FR adaptor for either of these. Funnily enough though the finder base is the main reason for upgrading so I will double check with FLO. The casting on my standard one is so far off that I run out of adjustment on the finder, and they're still not aligned! 

The focuser should bolt directly into the 80ED DS Pro.

avtgP9nl.jpg

I originally used it in my ST102.

Ulg9Bz0l.jpg

There are three screws holding it into the OTA, just like the GSO equivalent.

2IXeLkVl.jpg

Some of the 'OVL' Long Perng focusers didn't have holes for the finder shoe. I got my 'Sky-Watcher' from FLO. I'd check there are holes though.

kZiJQacl.jpg

Edited by Zeta Reticulan

• 6 months later...

Hi guys! thank you for the topic, I'm searching for a focuser for my SW 80ED Pro Golden Edition

Then, the Astro-Essentials focuser it's a good choice? I do astrophoto and I need something that holds firmly my Reflex and the SW corrector7reductor.

Thank you so much  for yours advices

2 hours ago, gaiden said:

Hi guys! thank you for the topic, I'm searching for a focuser for my SW 80ED Pro Golden Edition

Then, the Astro-Essentials focuser it's a good choice? I do astrophoto and I need something that holds firmly my Reflex and the SW corrector7reductor.

Thank you so much  for yours advices

I fitted a Baader Steeltrack to my 80ed - although it's not cheap at around twice the price. An adapter to fit to the 80ed and finder shoe(s) to go on to the focuser will add around another £80 to the price. You can sell on the original focuser to get some money back against whatever purchase you make  -mine sold for around £85 on ebay.