Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 7th April 2006

russ

Well had my first serious go at Jupiter this year. There seems to be very few Jupiter images making it to the web this year. Probably a lot to do with it's poor altitude in sky as seen from the UK. 2006 certainly won't be a vintage for Jupiter!

That said Jupiter looked superb this morning in the ED100. Visually it was a treat. In fact i spent so long eye balling Jupiter that I forgot the time. Dawn was fast approaching by the time I hooked up the Toucam. Only managed four AVI's, the following images were from the better two.

Setup was as follows:

EQ6 Skyscan, Orion ED 100, 2" TV Everbright, 5x TV Powermate, Toucam Pro II. Both were 500 odd frame AVI's. Registax 3 :lol: insisted on stacking all the frames, so there's room for improvement by doing a manual stack.

Toucam settings - 352x288 res, 30% saturation, 40% brightness, 0% gamma, 1/25th sec, 60% gain, 10fps

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Regards

Russ

Out of interest did you run the RGB shift tool on the images in Registax?

Yep i did. Jupiter is pretty low by 5am, actually its barely rising at any point of the night. So the thick atmosphere is playing havoc with the light. That said the ED100 did any amazing job. Quite chuffed.

Russ I can't believe you wanted to give it all up!!! Those are blumming fantastic

Just the tonic i needed Caz :lol: Hopefully keep me happy for a few months.

Thanks for the comments all

Russ

Why do you image at 10 FPS? i ask as i can't get my head round it surely 5 FPS would be even better?

By dropping the res to 358x288 (cropped 640x480), I find there's enough bandwidth on the USB to run 10fps with only a small drop in quality. The upside is far more frames to stack. 5fps always seems so painfully slow. But i will give 5fps a try again next time out...just for you matey :lol:

Actually thinking about it i should shoot 5fps because it drops the shutter speed to 1/15th sec. Which means less gain :) You're right James, why was i shooting 10fps. :?

Russ

Beautiful images Rus and lots of encouragement for the rest of us to give it a go.

Not at all convinced by 5fps. As soon as I get the chance I will run 3 consecutive captures of 35 secs at 5 10 and 15fps and see which look the best. Should be interesting.

Archived