SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone fitted a ZWO EAF to the Evolux 62?

Hi,

Always better to find a case where the EAF fitting has been done for a scope already - rather than re-inventing the wheel. So has anyone fitted a ZWO EAF to an Evolux 62 (or 82) or even know of a scope with the same focuser design so I can see what's needed without having to remove screws at random.

Thanks

Steve

Update

• Seems I'll need a couple of M4 25mm bolts to replace 2 of the 4 bolts holding the focuser knob part to the main focuser body.  
  • Single speed side is held in place by a 1.5mm allen grub screw
  • Double side needs a 2mm allen key, has one to hold the mechanism in place (spacing) and another to grip the 6mm shaft.

When I bought the EAF I knew the 7mm coupler had been taken from the box, but gambled that I may not need it. Seems the gamble paid off as the 6mm fits the shaft okay.

Downside is that the couplers are all 19mm diameter but the recess for the focuser knob is around 17mm so the coupler sticks out a bit further than expected. I'm also likely too get the ZWO EAF-TAK adapter bracket as that looks like it will fit/hold better than the universal bracket (which I'd need to drill out a bit more to use).

Edited by StevieDvd
Update

Won't be 100% sure till I actually do the fit but the bracket looks like it will fit, the 25mm M4 bolt length is to allow for the bracket to be held securely.  Not having the coupler I can't line up the motor exactly but will see soon.

Edited by StevieDvd
edited bolt size needed

On 31/07/2022 at 05:35, Skyline said:

I have been meaning to get one for my 62 as well. I am thinking I would have to buy the additional esprit / takahashi bracket as the fitting would be similar. 

Well I've had a play with the EAF kit again and looks like the Tak adapter bracket will be a better fit. It turns out I did have a coupler (6mm possibly) which fits the focuser shaft though it's diameter is 19mm so won't recess into the focuser assembly and sticks out a little more.

I'll need to use the 2 recessed M4 bolts nearest to the EAF to secure the motor so will see if I can get the esprit/tak bracket too.

Edited by StevieDvd
edited bolt size needed

Not quite finished with this yes but it works okay which is the main thing.

IMG_1849.thumb.JPG.cd43f4b27620d92b5f5642aa8fabd9f3.JPG

The screws I had were a little too long so will replace these with correct length (M4 x 25mm) when they come in the mail.  The tak/esprit bracket (new style) makes it a firmer connection than the standard bracket and has room to move in/out if needed.

IMG_1851.thumb.JPG.eee7887d562e13df64f41883a8579e3f.JPG

The coupler diameter is just a tad too big to recess into the focuser body, unlike the knob that was removed which did.

IMG_1850.thumb.JPG.e980e1e3b14572d011336ec92710c739.JPG

With the motor attached and protruding out so far the scope now does not fit in the case, just a few cms narrower and it would fit. I may try switching the dual speed knob over with the single to see if that helps with the width.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have managed to fit the EAF with the standard coupler and bracket. The trick was to just remove the other knob, the one with the fine adjuster. The hole there is the right size for the 19mm coupler. I believe you can even decide on which side you want the EAF if you disassemble the focuser from underneath.

IMG_0019.thumb.jpg.3ea80341add2965e0912d1b6538ec19f.jpgIMG_0018.thumb.jpg.084c49181f893ea78c7e3e88a292a941.jpgIMG_0020.thumb.jpg.b039febd974f86c0df2b7314ccf3e5aa.jpg

• Like 3

Nicely done.

I did not think to check if the hole on the fine focuser side was different. 😮

Are the holes you used to secure the bracket just for holding the focus system in place and not part of an adjustment mechanism? I used the outer ones as they held the focuser mechanism onto the focuser body so I was sure I did no harm.

Steve

• 5 months later...

I want this EAF also eventually on my 62ED. But i dont want to have the EAF on the fine focus knob. I want it like Stevie. Can that be reached with all parts which you get from ZWO EAF?

Edited by Oxize

12 hours ago, Oxize said:

I want tis EAF also eventually on my 62ED. But i dont want to have the EAF on the fine focus know. I want it like Stevie. Can that be reached with all parts which you get from ZWO EAF?

It should be okay.  Based on how @mamenyaka fitted it using the EAF box contents.  But I would double-check that the box screws fit in the tension screw holes wthout touching the recessed allen heads of the tension screws.

The coupler will protrude a bit more but the bracket should still fit if you use the same as @mamenyaka but on the coarse focuser side.  I bought the Tak/Esprit adapter as I wanted to avoid any issue with the tension screws - if I did it again I'd remove the fine focuser knob as it's not usable with the EAF fitted.

The bigger problem is likely to be that the scope won't fit in the case whichever way you do it.

• 7 months later...
On 03/11/2022 at 14:49, mamenyaka said:

Hi all,

I have managed to fit the EAF with the standard coupler and bracket. The trick was to just remove the other knob, the one with the fine adjuster. The hole there is the right size for the 19mm coupler. I believe you can even decide on which side you want the EAF if you disassemble the focuser from underneath.

IMG_0019.thumb.jpg.3ea80341add2965e0912d1b6538ec19f.jpgIMG_0018.thumb.jpg.084c49181f893ea78c7e3e88a292a941.jpgIMG_0020.thumb.jpg.b039febd974f86c0df2b7314ccf3e5aa.jpg

Thank you for this... I just installed mine and it works perfectly... 

On 18/04/2023 at 16:29, Oxize said:

I want this EAF also eventually on my 62ED. But i dont want to have the EAF on the fine focus knob. I want it like Stevie. Can that be reached with all parts which you get from ZWO EAF?

It's not really on the fine focus... you have to take out the whole gear reducer and attach the EAF knob to the focuser main shaft... so the EAF will be acting attached to the "coarse" adjustment.