Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question about moving to mono 533MMPro and filters

900SL

Hello Peers

I'm thinking of adding a mono system to my current set up.

I'm looking at the 533mm pro and assume that the ZWO mini 5 filter EFW with 1.25 or 31mm filter set in Ha, O3 and S would be a good match.

I'm also assuming this would work with a micro 4/3 sensor. 

Do you need larger filters for APS-C size? 

Many thanks

Rich

I would agree with @scotty38 that the 7 slots is a definite benefit (even more so if using unmounted filters). You don't want to be opening up your filter wheel to keep changing filters. If you only do RGB or narrowband you would be OK.

As for filter sizes, I think for the 533, 1.25 are fine. For the APS-C you would probably get away with 31mm filters - but it will depend a bit on the scope and set up. I would check on the Astronomy tools website which has a filter size calculator. If you are using 'cheaper' filters then it might be worth going larger as the cost difference is small. I think you are probably better off spending the extra on better filters rather than larger.

Cheers guys. I'm unlikely to go LRGB as this will be a NB set up for bortle 8 wide field emission nebula. I have a colour 533MC pro at present which is good for darker skies when I drive out, so will go with the 5 slot. Largest sensor in foreseeable future is micro 4/3, I actually really like the 533 size, framing and benefits so unlikely to move up as I can always mosaic.

Recommended NB 1.25" filter set? I was thinking around 6 nm would balance cost/performance? I've had good experiences with IDAS but I can't find 1.25" filters from my usual suppliers..

With the ZWO camera on the ZWO wheel 1.25" filters will be OK up to micro 4/3 size, eg the ASI 1600, so the 533 will be fine too.

For NB filters, and leaving out the crazy expensive Chroma and Astrodon, can you stretch to Antlia 3nm? If you're imaging under Bortle 8 (Been there, done that) then go as narrow as you can afford.

52 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I was thinking around 6 nm would balance cost/performance?

On your own there. I still have the ZWO filters. Astronomik and Antila seem to get good reviews. Depends on how deep your pockets are....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DaveS said:

With the ZWO camera on the ZWO wheel 1.25" filters will be OK up to micro 4/3 size, eg the ASI 1600, so the 533 will be fine too.

For NB filters, and leaving out the crazy expensive Chroma and Astrodon, can you stretch to Antlia 3nm? If you're imaging under Bortle 8 (Been there, done that) then go as narrow as you can afford.

Cheers Dave just been reading about that. Looks like 3nm is the way to go. Blimey they are expensive. Antila or Baader ultra narrowband seem like the way to go

14 hours ago, 900SL said:

Hello Peers

I'm thinking of adding a mono system to my current set up.

I'm looking at the 533mm pro and assume that the ZWO mini 5 filter EFW with 1.25 or 31mm filter set in Ha, O3 and S would be a good match.

I'm also assuming this would work with a micro 4/3 sensor. 

Do you need larger filters for APS-C size? 

Many thanks

Rich

For the 533 you dont need larger than 1.25 inch even on optics as fast as F2 so dont waste money on larger sensors, do get a 8 position wheel though for the reasons stated above.

Adam

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 900SL said:

Cheers Dave just been reading about that. Looks like 3nm is the way to go. Blimey they are expensive. Antila or Baader ultra narrowband seem like the way to go

What are the F-ratios of your scopes? If you are using a fast system you may actually save youself allot of pain but going for 6nm filters. 3nm filters are very very crytical and i personally would not buy them from a cheaper brand, 6nm are much more forgiving. You could end up with a 3nm filter that only has 50% transmittion. Baader 6nm are fine but their ultral narrow filters have not got a good reputation. Antila are potentially better but still not totally problem free. My actual suggestion is 6nm Astronomiks or 5nm Astrodons / 5nm Chroma. If 3nm then only AD or Chroma.

To underline my belief in this I have 5nm Astrodon filters, and if you asked if I wanted to strait swap them with a set of 4nm Baader or 3nm Antlia filters my firm answer would be NO....no thank you very much.

So yeah you are better off with 6nm unless  you are willing to pay for the best 3nm filters. Others will pipe up to say their baader 4nm or Antlia 3nm filters are great, theirs may be, thats the nature of the filter lottery some people win some people loose, I am not a gambler myself.

watch this:

Adam

Edited by Adam J

To actually answer your question, 1.25" is fine for a 4/3 sensor for at least f5.5**, provided you can get the filters close to the sensor - i.e. zwo camera with a zwo filter wheel.

**my setup is a 294MM (4/3 sensor), with a zwo 7 position FW (Astronomik 1.25" mounted filters ), connected as described by zwo, and it works, but flats*** are needed for vignetting.

***don't even get me started on the topic of getting good flats for the 294!!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adam J said:

What are the F-ratios of your scopes? If you are using a fast system you may actually save youself allot of pain but going for 6nm filters. 3nm filters are very very crytical and i personally would not buy them from a cheaper brand, 6nm are much more forgiving. You could end up with a 3nm filter that only has 50% transmittion. Baader 6nm are fine but their ultral narrow filters have not got a good reputation. Antila are potentially better but still not totally problem free. My actual suggestion is 6nm Astronomiks or 5nm Astrodons / 5nm Chroma. If 3nm then only AD or Chroma.

To underline my belief in this I have 5nm Astrodon filters, and if you asked if I wanted to strait swap them with a set of 4nm Baader or 3nm Antlia filters my firm answer would be NO....no thank you very much.

So yeah you are better off with 6nm unless  you are willing to pay for the best 3nm filters. Others will pipe up to say their baader 4nm or Antlia 3nm filters are great, theirs may be, thats the nature of the filter lottery some people win some people loose, I am not a gambler myself.

watch this:

Adam

At the moment refractors f4 to f6 depending on reducers.

Thanks Adam. I watched a few YouTube's on filters yesterday and discounted Baader. The Chroma and Astrodon are silly money, I'm not paying more than my mount for three slivers of glass. Looks like Astronomik 6nm  X 31mm

Edited by 900SL

5 hours ago, 900SL said:

At the moment refractors f4 to f6 depending on reducers.

Thanks Adam. I watched a few YouTube's on filters yesterday and discounted Baader. The Chroma and Astrodon are silly money, I'm not paying more than my mount for three slivers of glass. Looks like Astronomik 6nm  X 31mm

I dont think you can go wrong, with Astronomik every once in a while one slips through that has some reflections but universally people say that they imediatly replace the filter often even without receiving the defective one back, thats really good customer service.

Adam

9 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

To actually answer your question, 1.25" is fine for a 4/3 sensor for at least f5.5**, provided you can get the filters close to the sensor - i.e. zwo camera with a zwo filter wheel.

**my setup is a 294MM (4/3 sensor), with a zwo 7 position FW (Astronomik 1.25" mounted filters ), connected as described by zwo, and it works, but flats*** are needed for vignetting.

***don't even get me started on the topic of getting good flats for the 294!!!

Less than F5.5 even at F4 you should see very little vignetting even on a 4/3 and the 533 is smaller than that so i think even F2 is fine. I use the ASI1600mm pro with 1.25 at F4.5 and I see absolutely zero vignetting with the ZWO wheel. Also as a rule 1.25 have less edge reflection issues than the 31mm alternative. Although with Astronomik they did mount their 31mm filters in a ring.

Adam

• Like 1