Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

uh-oh wonder how long before their 'luck' runs out

DaveL59

7 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

The least it could do is to take out one or two Starlinks on its way in.

Don't worry they will fall on their own after 5 years and Starlink may not even last that long - they are burning through cash and brand Musk has taken a beating recently.

• Like 2

Those rockets use hypergolic fuels which are extremely toxic. Im talking hospitalized if a drop touches your skin kind of toxic.

Probably better to have someone come and dispose of whatever survives to the ground.

Its incredibly stupid to let the core stage to just re-enter with no control as its not that difficult to do safely. All it takes is a few m/s of delta V to deorbit the core at will...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Those rockets use hypergolic fuels which are extremely toxic. Im talking hospitalized if a drop touches your skin kind of toxic.

Probably better to have someone come and dispose of whatever survives to the ground.

Its incredibly stupid to let the core stage to just re-enter with no control as its not that difficult to do safely. All it takes is a few m/s of delta V to deorbit the core at will...

Actually no, the long march 5 did not use hypergolics. So maybe not so dangerous after all.

30 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Actually no, the long march 5 did not use hypergolics. So maybe not so dangerous after all.

A truck sized incoming at 25,000 mph?  Nah, not dangerous! 😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

Good point. I might have to splash out on a fallout shelter. I'm guessing they're all now made in China, right?

and soon to be delivered via a direct drop from the sky, so no excavating required 😉 

Just fill the hole back in and you're done...

Edited by DaveL59
  • Haha 2

One of the diagrams I've seen shows the orbital track passing over the Canaries. It might land on me, IOW.

Edited by Xilman
Fix tpo.

44 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

A truck sized incoming at 25,000 mph?  Nah, not dangerous! 😂

At least there is a substantial amount of atmosphere to slow it down and to spread it over a wider area.

I am still a NIMBY though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xilman said:

One of the diagrams I've seen shows the orbital track passing over the Canaries. It might land on me, IOW.

Subsequent observations have ruled out that it will hit me.  Might be able to see a low pass at 03:55UTC though.

• Like 1