Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron CPC 800 XLT Telescope

ninjageezer

You could de-fork the OTA and attach it to the HEQ5 via a suitable dovetail bar, but it would probably make more economic sense to sell the CPC800 (worth about £1000) and buy a used C8 OTA.

OR you could see what the CPC800 can do as is. I have one and use it for imaging planetary nebulae. No need for an equatorial mount there.

10 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You could de-fork the OTA and attach it to the HEQ5 via a suitable dovetail bar, but it would probably make more economic sense to sell the CPC800 (worth about £1000) and buy a used C8 OTA.

OR you could see what the CPC800 can do as is. I have one and use it for imaging planetary nebulae. No need for an equatorial mount there.

ok point taken ,i want it mainly for planetary and i got the offer of it  quite cheap with a fair few extras.plan was to possibly use it for some DSO on the heq5 pro using its longer reach for smaller targets and use the wo 73 for the wider field ,i understand its a slower scope also.

i found this on the celestron website for the dovetail bar.: would i be able to attach my guidescope/guidecam on top of the cpc 800 without this said bracket ?

Celestron 8-inch Dovetail bar (CGE)
Please note that this product will not work with CPC 800 GPS or CPC Deluxe 800 HD telescopes without completely removing the finder scope bracket.

Guiding is not appropriate for a CPC800,( no point in trying to guide an alt-azimuth mount) but the C8 OTA has an assortment of fixing points where an accessory bar or sundry finder mounts can be attached.

The CPC800 is an ideal outfit for planetary imaging as-is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Guiding is not appropriate for a CPC800,( no point in trying to guide an alt-azimuth mount) but the C8 OTA has an assortment of fixing points where an accessory bar or sundry finder mounts can be attached.

The CPC800 is an ideal outfit for planetary imaging as-is.

binned the idea the scope was not in awesome nick.

the guiding would have been done on my heq5 mount ...

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

What's the main problem? It might need collimating, like the C8 I bought used - and fixed.

very tatty and dirty, front glass did not look good ,the handset buttons instead of being soft silicone was yellow and hard (probably due to the cigarette smoke in the house and also the gps did not work.not for me .

Just now, ninjageezer said:

very tatty and dirty, front glass did not look good ,the handset buttons instead of being soft silicone was yellow and hard (probably due to the cigarette smoke in the house and also the gps did not work.not for me .

i pmd a chap on here a couple of days ago about a similar setup for sale i never heard anything .i have another i have my eye on also.

1 hour ago, ninjageezer said:

i pmd a chap on here a couple of days ago about a similar setup for sale i never heard anything .i have another i have my eye on also.

If you do not already own a CPC800, it might make more sense to buy a C8 OTA (cheaper) and do everything with it mounted on the HEQ5

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

If you do not already own a CPC800, it might make more sense to buy a C8 OTA (cheaper) and do everything with it mounted on the HEQ5

Yes i think that is the best idea ,the only reason i looked at the cpc 800 was it seemed a bargain,,,,not so lol.