Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I Need One

LDW1

I need a 15mm ep, so I have been looking, I may have settled on the Celestron Ultima Edge !  The $'s look just about right ie $175 C + $15 ship. Any pros or cons before I get one, I am not in a hurry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LDW1 said:

I need a 15mm ep, so I have been looking, I may have settled on the Celestron Ultima Edge !  The $'s look just about right ie $175 C + $15 ship. Any pros or cons before I get one, I am not in a hurry.

y3qy8k0l.jpg

I'm pretty sure these are made by KUO and sold under a variety of names and liveries. Mine is an 'Altair Ultraflat'.

v45pUBcl.jpg

I'm not over keen on the eyeguard, although it can be rolled down.

2U86oQ0l.jpg

I like its light weight and smallness, it's very much like a 19mm Panoptic.

xrStmWIl.jpg

Mine doesn't get out as much as it should do, something I plan to soon rectify. In use I find it has a satisfyingly flat field with excellent acuity and colour separation. 

lgjQF19.jpg

I believe APM first distributed these eyepieces. I'm pretty sure there is an SvBony version as well. Either way, s'all good! 

• Like 1

If you can go 2mm in either direction and a tiny bit more expensive I would suggest you have a good look at the Baader Hyperion series.  They punch above their price range and are well made with a 68

degree FOV which is nice, can't go wrong for the price, My 21 and 24mm have been great

Edited by Sunshine

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

If you can go 2mm in either direction and a tiny bit more expensive I would suggest you have a good look at the Baader Hyperion series.  They punch above their price range and are well made with a 68

degree FOV which is nice, can't go wrong for the price, My 21 and 24mm have been great

For years I've wondered about the Hyperions. How are they in scopes at f/7 and faster?

Edited by Zeta Reticulan

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

I have the 17.5mm and 12.5mm Morpheus eps but I want a 15mm for a particular scope under certain conditions. I have been considering this scenario for a while.

6 minutes ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

For years I've wondered about the Hyperions. How are then in scopes at f/7 and faster?

My 102 is an F-8 and my dob is an F5.9, I have used them in my 102 without complaints but in my faster dob I haven’t use them yet, I’m sure you can discover may threads on the hyperions here on SGL. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

For years I've wondered about the Hyperions. How are they in scopes at f/7 and faster?

I had a set of Hyperions before I went to the Morpheus line but they were excellent with my f5.4, 5.5, 6.0, 6.25 and 6.6 refractors. I would recommend them any day.  PS :  I kept the the 31-24mm Hyperions as the Morpheus only go to 17.5mm.

Edited by LDW1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

I believe APM first distributed these eyepieces. I'm pretty sure there is an SvBony version as well. Either way, s'all good! 

Ha, sorry I replied in a rush and hadn't realised you'd already mentioned this fact. 

@LDW1 you're in Canada right? I don't know anything about Canadian vendors but in the UK and Europe, the Celestron version of these EPs are a touch more expensive than the APM etc. counterparts. In particular the 24mm and 30mm always seem to be quite a lot more. Apart from cosmetics they're all identical, so if you can get any of the other brands they might be cheaper.

The 24mm Ultra Flat Field is an excellent EP and even better when you consider the price. As far as I am aware all the FLs are similarly excellent. 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, badhex said:

Ha, sorry I replied in a rush and hadn't realised you'd already mentioned this fact. 

@LDW1 you're in Canada right? I don't know anything about Canadian vendors but in the UK and Europe, the Celestron version of these EPs are a touch more expensive than the APM etc. counterparts. In particular the 24mm and 30mm always seem to be quite a lot more. Apart from cosmetics they're all identical, so if you can get any of the other brands they might be cheaper.

The 24mm Ultra Flat Field is an excellent EP and even better when you consider the price. As far as I am aware all the FLs are similarly excellent. 

I believe APM had the exclusive rights to distribute them for a couple of years. 

• Like 2

I bought that 15mm Ultima Edge and my initial viewing of the Andromeda Gallaxy, Double Cluster and a few sights in Sagittarius show it to be a very capable eyepiece in my f5.5 refractor. My research paid off, it will fit in nicely with my other eps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LDW1 said:

I bought that 15mm Ultima Edge and my initial viewing of the Andromeda Gallaxy, Double Cluster and a few sights in Sagittarius show it to be a very capable eyepiece in my f5.5 refractor. My research paid off, it will fit in nicely with my other eps.

Great to hear! 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2022 at 02:30, Zeta Reticulan said:

Not good in very fast scopes esp. Newtonians, in my f/5 they were very poor in the last 10%, not recommended.

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I assume you've read @John's comparison of the Hyperions with the Vixen LVWs from which they were cloned?  If not, it's a good starting point.

More performance at twice the price until you add in nitely sky conditions on any given night. What does that do to the cost / benefit ? I did quite a lengthy study before I went with the Hyperions but I should have bought the Morpheous which I did about a month later and sold most of the Hyperions. Studies vs end results gets you every time, lol !

42 minutes ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

I was thinking of using a Hyperion in an f/7.5 refractor.

I used my 31 and 21 mm Hyperions with my 80mm, f11.4 refractor last nite under average skies, Bortle 4-5 backyard. Again the Double Cluster, M31, M13, M92, the Lagoon Neb., etc looked great. I hadn't used my 80mm for a while, the Hyperions performed sharply well. Unless you are some sort of perfectionist that line of eps will serve you well, right to the edge of view !

• Thanks 1

Depending what you want to view the most with the 15mm, TS may have 1 Antares Elite Plossl left.

A really outstanding eyepiece for planetary and lunar observing. 

They were listed at just under € 100

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LDW1 said:

I used my 31 and 21 mm Hyperions with my 80mm, f11.4 refractor last nite under average skies, Bortle 4-5 backyard. Again the Double Cluster, M31, M13, M92, the Lagoon Neb., etc looked great. I hadn't used my 80mm for a while, the Hyperions performed sharply well. Unless you are some sort of perfectionist that line of eps will serve you well, right to the edge of view !

The Hyperions work fine at f/8 and longer.

Come to think of it, most eyepieces work great at f/8 and longer.

• Like 1