Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun March 18

darditti

I was busy with the Lunt LS60T on the 18th, though the sky was this semi-clear milky mush it has been constantly for about a week now. I reckon the planes have lot to do with it. Here are the results. Only the bottom prominence was bright enough to be obvious visually.

David

sun09-03-18-DLA.jpg

David

The images still show marked smearing, and pronounced focus issues, though I guess you don't need me to tell you that, and I doubt very much, given the exceptional deep sky work you do, as well as planetary that you have any issues with focus of a telescope.

Compare to images I took a few days ago with a modified PST (using a very small etalon), under poor seeing, and you will get the idea of what a 0.75A 60mm scope should be able to do with the skynyx (one of the best cameras in the world)

Yes. I and the dealer (Richard Best) think it is probably a collimation issue. It could have gone wrong in transport. It has had to go back to Lunt.

A bit sad, but both the dealer and the company have been very helpful. Hopefully it will be fixed.

David

David, take a look at the Lunt images gallery, find me more than 3 images (in fact...find me one!) that are at F20 or higher with any semblance of tack sharp focus. Pete seems to havwe got the closest to a high res focus image..

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/luntsolar/photos/album/1503614099/pic/496547329/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=mtime&start=1&count=20&dir=desc

Just one example..

Latest word is that it is on the way back and Lunt have replaced the blocking filter.

It seems kind of unlikely to me that the focus issues I was experiencing could be to do with the blocking filter. A component so close to the image plane will not normally affect focus in a critical manner. But I have to retain an open mind at this stage.

David

fingers crossed too

As soon as you get it back, try imaging at say F25 or higher, and see how it goes...

SV50 I push to F40 regularly (tack sharp focus too), and that is a 50mm aperture. Pete L has also had his PST at F30-40 with tack sharp focus and clear surface details at 40mm aperture (I could not with mine as the prism was misaligned in the stock model, hence I modded it)

David

Also have a look on Cloudy Nights, an interesting comparison of the B1200 and B600 blocking filters, one showing markedly better (still not perfect) focus than the other, on the same scope/setup/camera within minutes of each other.

Archived