Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader 2.25x Barlow and Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece

PaulM

11 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Fantastic combination, can seriously put a fixed focal length eyepiece collection on the "I don't use these anymore" list.

Couldn't agree more. This combination gives all my planetary eyepieces a run for their money ,especially  with my 120ED.

Should an apocalyptic event take place, that's my grab n run (not go) eyepiece .💥

George

I like the Baader Zoom and its Barlow. I usually start with the Zoom for alignment, and I use it when I observe a target that I know will benefit from changing magnification such as the Moon.

However, I do prefer individual eyepieces. I started buying them because the Baader Zoom field of view is quite small at 24mm (48 degrees) and I felt like I was looking through a keyhole. First I bought an Explore Scientific 24mm 68 degree and have continued along this path with more ES 82 degree eyepieces. The ES eyepieces are now starting to make the Baader Zoom feel redundant.

I still use the Hyperion Barlow quite a lot. I like that it has a screw fitting which keeps things short, and a collar to stop it disappearing inside the diagonal and filter wheel. I use it with the binoviewer, camera, and with some of the ES eyepieces (it nicely takes the 6.7mm to 3mm which is much better than the ES 3mm 52 degree eyepiece).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Has anyone tried this Barlow with any other eyepieces or zooms?  Is it a one trick pony in that it only works well with the BHZ?

Used it with my Vixen LVWs and it works fine. 

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

Has anyone tried this Barlow with any other eyepieces or zooms?  Is it a one trick pony in that it only works well with the BHZ?

I've used it with the ES 6.7mm 82 degrees and with the WO binoviewer with 20mm eyepieces. In both cases it has worked fine but I'm not sure I'm still getting the x2.25.

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

Yeah, it works fine threaded directly into the Orion 7-21mm zoom. Its threads are not compatible with some other zooms. Although it will thread into most of my other eyepieces. I use it a fair bit threaded into a 6mm Vixen SLV, effectively making it 2.6mm.

Edited by Zeta Reticulan