Narrowband

Heq5 lat bolts

52 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

M12 for a better adjustment? 

Bottom line being, 'ye canna make a silk purse from a sow's ear'....

Although I do have a SW mount I am the first to be critical regarding its rather shoddy construction. The SW mounts are adequate and more or less perform as advertised. However, for the prices asked they leave a great deal to be desired... I personally would not bother to re-tap the mount.

7 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

Bottom line being, 'ye canna make a silk purse from a sow's ear'....

Although I do have a SW mount I am the first to be critical regarding its rather shoddy construction. The SW mounts are adequate and more or less perform as advertised. However, for the prices asked they leave a great deal to be desired... I personally would not bother to re-tap the mount.

I'm only thinking of it as I've had to strip down my pier to replace the main board in the mount. Going to take the opportunity to replace the bearings and powder coat the adapter plate I made 3 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Going someone else has done it to get an idea on the casting quality

😞 Now THAT could be an issue, in which case don't attempt to re-tap it unless someone else has actually successfully done it!

Retapping the theads will only be a temporary fix,

The way these bolts hit the stand adjustment mechanism is forcing the bolts back at a angle instead of striaght back putting a sideways pressure on the threads

3 hours ago, apaulo said:

what is wrong with the thread. if its very loose, no point just retapping it. probably make it worse. if its too tight a tap will clean it up. 

The bolt is just sloppy in the thread. Was thinking about retapping to an M12. Wanted to find out if anyone had done a similar mod. 

1 hour ago, Mandy D said:

Have you thought about having the threads helicoiled? This will give you a steel thread for your bolt to screw into, instead of keep stressing the aluminium every time you screw the bolts in.

Thought about that. It's not a huge problem at the moment because I can go over 6 months between PA adjustments, but been planning for a mount upgrade in a year and putting the heq5 out for days away. Was thinking a smoother thread might make life easier. Just wish there was a nice kit like there is for the neq6 to upgrade the mount.