Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's been discussed before, but...

Just ordered my first goto SCT (C8SE). After LOTS of reading here and elsewhere, I'm STILL not sure whether to get .63 focal reducer/corrector,  or a more expensive 2 inch star diagonal. Leaning towards the fr/c... but I have some NICE 2 inch eyepieces. I fully admit that I don't fully understand all the optical physics I've read in these discussions... and it seems there are knowledgeable folks advocating both ways for sharp visual observing. I own an 8 inch dob, a 5 inch Newtonian, and a 4 inch Televue apo frac (where the 2 inch eyepieces really shine) ... but the goto 8 inch has long been a dream. So not to put too fine a point in it,  how do I get the MOST out of it?  Thanx in advance for any replies!

My theory is if you already have the 2"ers then go that route.

(As you probably already know, 2"ers don't play well with the FR/C)

I had sold all my 2"ers by the time I got my C8 so I went with the FR/C. 

The only disadvantage is the 2" EPs will add more weight to the set up.

Edited by PXR5
Speling
  • Thanks 1

Unless you're strictly using the TV APO straight through, you already have a 2" diagonal, so I don't understand the comment about buying a 2" diagonal.  They don't have to be expensive, though, if you want to keep one with the SCT.  I picked up 3 used GSO 2" 99% dielectric diagonals from Cloudy Nights classifieds to keep with various scopes for about $70 each.

You will need a 2" visual back if the SCT doesn't come with one.  They're about $25 to $35.

I would try the 2" eyepieces because there are some fine 2"ers at shorter focal lengths as well the longer widest field ones.  The 12mm and 17mm ES-92s are two I can think of right off the bat.  The 21mm Ethos also comes to mind.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input.  I did wonder about trying the TV diagonal on the 8SE. And yeah, still need the appropriate visual back. Some of what I read mentions that the 2" diagonal may prevent pointing the scope near the zenith. But it's worth a try... and just sliding the OTA a bit more fisted fwd in the mount.  I know it'll be a learning process! I currently have a 2" 15 Nagler, a 32 Erfle, and a 40 widefield

5 hours ago, revbarryb said:

and just sliding the OTA a bit more fisted fwd in the mount. 

You should slide the OTA as far forward in the clamp as it will go anyway.

I am a sceptic as regards using the f6.3 focal reducer and 2" eyepieces with the C8 SE in a visual role. You will note that I have one...

The focal reducer is really intended for imaging, in which role it excels. If you want to buy a 2" visual back, 2" diagonal and use your 2" eyepieces to get a wider field of view that's up to you.  But you already own wider field instruments, so why bother?

I very rarely use my telescopes in a visual wide field role.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I very rarely use my telescopes in a visual wide field role.

Because a lot of big, heavy eyepieces are 2" only as I pointed out above.  For instance, all of the ES-100 and ES-92 eyepieces are 2" only.